Talley Lightweights

TDMVA

Beginner
Apr 18, 2016
have talley's as noted above on my nosler m48 liberty 300 win mag. dang things worked great all last season and at the farm shooting 300 yards three weeks ago. two weeks ago it went to crap on me. couldn't hit the bull on 100 yards. lows and to the right 4". turns out a screw had stripped.

now when I first mounted the scope and sighted the scope in (zeiss conquest DL 3-15x50) I ended up only having 3 clicks up in elevation left at 200 yards. that was disappointing and most certainly a ring issue.

so I had to just remount it with a new screw(s) and sure enough I was out of elevation just to bore sight it. the gunsmith shimmed it for me and it took 25 shims! 15 under the bases and 10 in the rings.

I don't have much confidence on this setup now with these rings.

any recommendations on replacement rings? I want this thing to shoot to 700 yards (for fun) and 400 for hunting (maybe 500 at most).

Are you sure that the rings you mounted were the ones that were supposed to be in the box? Check the bottom of the base, and they show the model number. The catalog shows which two bases come packaged for your rifle.

Crazier things have happened than having an M1 base in an N1 box, as an example.

I had one set that had the rear hole machined crooked, and Talley sent me new ones.

I have a custom built rifle on a Bordon action. I set it up with Burris Signature rings and double dovetail bases. The scope is a Swarovski 5x25x52.

The optic set up worked fine but I had an accuracy issue with the recently replaced Bartleiin barrel. I sent the rifle to my smith along with a new set of Tally LW rings/base which were highly recommended by Bordon. The smith lapped the rings and set everything up. He called to say that he was experiencing issues with paralex (sp) adjustment and focus. Additionally, the rifle/ scope could not be properly centered.

When he contacted Swarovski to discuss all the issues he was having with the scope he was told that they were likely related to the new Tally rings. While it sounds hard to believe, they had previous issues with their scopes and the Tally LWs that caused similar problems.

Currently switching back to a Burris Signature set-up but this time with a picatinny rail. I have a picatinny rail and Signature rings on almost every hunting rifle I own and have never had an issue. Probably should have left well enough alone.

spoke with talley and they said to remove the base/rings and call them back with the numbers on the bottom. they suspect that the parts were mixed up with the wrong packaging. They said there's no reason to have to shim like we did.

I just picked up the gun from the smith and he had to raise the back .0025" with shims. like I mentioned earlier there are 15 under the base and 10 in the ring. he put 2 in the back of the front base just to not rack the scope tube.

he did good work on what was asked but it isn't the solution i'm looking for.

So, that leaves me with taking apart what I just paid for and calling talley tomorrow AM. Will update tomorrow.

Talley offered to return the rings I have.

In the meantime I located the pic rail from warne I want to add 20 MOA. So I ordered that and plan on using some Larue low rings I have with it. Will keep you all posted

Back