Update on the new Lonestar FFP 4.5 x 18

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
UPDATE:
Got one on the way! Will mount it up and give a full review as soon as we "wring it out" :wink:
Its here!IMG_1762.JPG
Omg now I can plainly see what everyone is raving about; Rugged built , Great Reticule, Snappy turets with nice loud audible clicks. And Optically the eye relief, edge to edge crispness , and overall clarity is very Leupold Vx3ish.
How they build these down at this price point, is a mystery. I have a Vortex Viper PST ($900)in here on a customers rifle, that is NICE; IMG_1863.JPG and in A quick comparision last evening, And the Vortex is better but only by a whisker; you need to look darn close to see anything, If the Vortex is 5% better optically, that's a streach, that's all you could give it. How the LoneStar will hold up after a thousand twists on the turrets is anyone's guess? From what I see here if the Vortex was same price I would buy it, but it is most certainly NOT $600 better
Optically it just isn't there IMHO :? If your looking at getting into a FFP scope to go long out past 500 yds,Look no father, grab one of these asap!
They have a transferable ,unconditional lifetime warranty! This is exactly what the good Doctor ordered!
Anyway we trued up a set of 30mm; 'Grand Slam'rings yesterday; and mounted up the LoneStar scope onto the Tikka 6.5x55 to go loooooong. Sweet set up, I thought it makes a very sharp, clean installation!
Here it is/IMG_1858.JPG
IMG_1867.JPG

E

35 Whelen":3v95hvwk said:
UPDATE:
Got one on the way! Will mount it up and give a full review as soon as we "wring it out" :wink:
Its here!
Omg now I can plainly see what everyone is raving about; Rugged built , Great Reticule, Snappy turets with nice loud audible clicks. And Optically the eye relief, edge to edge crispness , and overall clarity is very Leupold Vx3ish.
How they build these down at this price point, is a mystery. I have a Vortex Viper PST ($900)in here on a customers rifle, that is NICE; and in A quick comparision last evening, And the Vortex is better but only by a whisker; you need to look darn close to see anything, If the Vortex was 1% better that is all, you could give it. Certainly NOT $600 better :?
If your looking at getting into a FFP scope to go long out past 500 yds,
Look no father, grab one of these asap!
They have a unconditional lifetime warranty! This is exactly what the good Doctor ordered!
Anyway we trued up a set of 30mm; 'Grand Slam'rings yesterday; and mounted up the LoneStar scope onto the Tikka 6.5x55 to go loooooong. Sweet set up, I thought it makes a very sharp, clean installation!
Here it is/View attachment 2View attachment 1

E
I really like that setup! I need to check these scopes out. This is the first I have heard of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was - 10 below zero here this morning, but I wanted to get this thing lined up today!! So did a quick
100 yd 4 shot group after I got it dailed in at 4" High at 100 yds; with 140gr VLDs with 50 grs of RL 26 , and was happy with the group
Greatest outside distance is .700 , and this scope is so crystal clear it is ridiculous. And Strelok says third bar is 425, there is a rock sticking up thru the ice out in front at 413 yds, with third bar resting slightly below center of the rock ( its sticking up about 10" above the ice) I could easily draw a good puff of white smoke off it every shot.
As soon as it warms up a little I will set up the target beside the bait at exactly 300 yds and make darn sure it's spot on, but for now this is close enough.IMG_1864.JPG
The COL with these VLDs is 3.20 .
Update #2
Brought up the Strelok app on my phone, (already had entered the load and all scope info) to see how many clicks with this scope for different distances, then ran a milk jug filled with water n red food coloring out to 600 yds on the snowmobile just before dark, dailed it from the app, and whacked it first try! Dailed it back to the 300yd Zero Stop, dead nuts came back perfect :grin:
Then dailed it for the 413 yd rock and no sweat to draw smoke out of it, dailed back to the Zero Stop and danged if it wasn't right on again! :p This scope and I are going to get along just fine (y)
If your open minded, and not fascinated by name brands ( I have a friend that will own nothing but a Nightforce , he isnt much of a shot but only buys big name items, sometimes I wonder if he could tell if it had the lens in it ???)
This scope is tremendous value period: But if your a name brand guy, better spend the extra $6/700 and just buy the Vortex, you will feel better about it. :|
IMG_1866.JPG

This scope looks alot like some Athlon's with the offset side focus. I do have an Athlon Argos BTR and for the money it’s hard to beat. If it works good at -10 it should serve you well.

I agree the Athlon could have come from same factory , Discovery Optics in China ????
They are cleaverly marketing these scope under numerous names, a friend swears he had
The Lucid Optics MLX scope in 4.5x18 and he claims this Lonestar is basically the same scope with
Differerent knobs?? And the reticule is very very similar :?
Here is that link: https://shop.opticsplanet.com/lucid-mlx ... -tube.html?
Also Primary Arms, Lucid Optics, LoneStar, Athlon , Discovery are just a few names
That seam to have all been built in the same place.?????
But they are Nice scopes for sure, regardless where they are being assembled.
As a side note when using this scope with Strelok; the"pro version",lists my reticule exactly, it's the MRD VT-T and it works precisely , and is correct for the clicks as long as you enter the click values as 0.10 Mils, correctly
If your running the "free version" of Strelok it looks like the "FML-1 reticule"will give you 99.5% the same numbers,on the lower hash marks! Without paying for the Pro Version; Also the "March MP-8 Dot"gives 99% of the same numbers. Either one looks like its within less than 2/4 yds off at 4, 5, 600 yds. So its probably closer than you can hold it !
Crazy easy to hit a Tide container at 600yds with this set up , in my case with 140gr VLDs zeroed at 300 simply go up 26 clicks and bingo........you own it.
Or if you just want to hold over , the 5th bar down is 592 yds and that will work as well !
Tremendous Value here, in a FFP optic. (y)

I guess a decent test of this scope would be to crank up and down to the max about 10X and check it back at zero a few times. I think that is where most of the scopes start to scream back at you when you start dumping full erector travel into them. I'd think if you did that a few times you might get a decent idea if it'll stand it.

I have cranked the SWFA 6X up and down quite alot just out of curiosity and it is the only scope I have ever had that came back to zero.

I think that's a very good suggestion Scotty, because as good as it is optically, and it's way better than it's price range X 2/3 times. If your going to be dailing it all the time it may not be up to it? We will see. It does have a very nice reticule and combined with Strelok , one could do about anything with it once you were comfortable with it? I am sure it is NOT going to compare with a $2000 Nightforce. And if your needing that sorta consistency they are still the way to go!
But for someone playing around with a low end rifle
Like I am wanting to dabble in the FFP world to go long
I think it has big possibility's :wink:

E, I would check out the SS 6X or their 3x9. The 6X sells everyday of the year for 300 bucks and sometimes around 250 when they are on sale. I've shot that out to 600 pretty often and cannot believe how easy it makes it with the MilQuad reticle and very useful turrets.. Plus, it'll only cost you about .99 cents to put a decent zero stop in it. They have a 10X as well if you want some extra X's, but for normal coyote and up sized targets, the 6X is an unbelievable piece of machinery.

Their 3x9 SS FFP goes for 500 bucks I think and you have to step into the 1000+ range to get into a better scope. Optically I couldn't tell you how it compares to others, but I haven't missed out on anything to date due to not being able to resolve my target. They are heavy, but I think that is part of the reason they will take the licking they do.

This is awesome man! So tracking is right on huh?

How will it handle the big bees I wonder?

weight??????

Fotis,
It is heavy at 24 oz, I expressed interest in becoming a dealer for them when my deal with Athlon went south
( long story) Anyway they shiped one right up to me for
Evaluation, and its almost identical to the Athlon Argos
In everyway . I have not done a tall target test with it yet,
However I did stick the boresighter in the muzzle the other
Nite and sit there and cranked it up and down as I watched an episode of "Nashville" and it was returning nicely to zero nicely on the boresighter at least ??..... Not the best test I know, but it will show a 2/3 click error instantly.
I think Amazon still has the scope listed? Or I could order
You one and ship it out to you ?? I can not speak to the question of how it would handle tbe major league recoil
From a "bee". Thats a darn good question. I have about
75 rounds thru the lowish recoil of my 6.5 only to reference and so far so good.
Just PM me if you want to try one, I need to order a couple
To go onto Creedmores we ordered up from T/C before the $75 rebate went away Dec 31. Total cost after rebate
for a new Compass was $225 !!!!

If you send me one I can test it on my 460 Bee. I am about to start load development.....

Back