Handgun Hunting optic?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Getting interested in doing more handgun hunting. I've popped the occasional deer with my .44, and a few with the .45 1911, always with the iron sights.

What optic, handgun scope or red-dot, do you recommend for a hard-kicking revolver?

Looking for something that will hold up to the 500 S&W revolver, and the 5" 44 mag S&W 629.

I don't have any illusions of taking a shot beyond 100 yards, but from the limited amount of shooting I've done with 45's & 9mm's and red-dot sights, I know I shoot better, more accurately with even a simple optic.

Thanks, Guy

Guy,

For several years, my S&W 629 Classic had a Leupold M8 2X fixed power scope. Very reliable, never lost it's zero and accounted for several WT deer out to 75 yards
I upgraded to a FXII 4X for better glass and magnification.
Great scope to consider!
I also have a VX-3 2.5-8x32mm mounted on my T/C Contender 375 Winchester. Excellent glass and magnification for taking longer shots when hunting or target shooting.

JD338

Guy it depends on what you want since most of the red dots are designed to take the hammering and slamming of a 1911 slide the higher end ones $200 and up will work fine. I use an Ultra Dot on my 1911 .45 acps and .22 target pistols, Aim Point 9000 is ok also but more money. For a scope I use a Burris pistol scope designed just for bullseye shooting which has been discontinued since the passing of Gil Hebard who Burris designed the scope for. They still make a 2X that will work quite well as does Leupold.(Leupold has a good warranty)
You notice I didn't mention the variables or larger magnification, No need for variables and they are not as reliable as fixed power on a hard recoiling hand gun, High fixed power scopes are hard to hold still and with out lots of practice almost impossible to shoot good off hand.

I have a 1.5-4 scope on my 629 Classic Hunter, and we put an Ultradot on Dad's 629 Performance Center. I don't recall which model, but I really like it. The model he has is silver, 4 different dot sizes, and adjustable brightness.

I have a Burris 3-12 on my 243 Contender, and will be going back to a 2-7. The high power is very difficult to use with regard to eye placement, and I find myself backing off on the power to use it. What's then the point?

I have Leupold 2X on several and Leupold 4X on a couple of T/C Encore barrels in rifle cartridge chambering's and like them.

Back