Range finder

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
What do you like and or use? If you were to spend 500-1k what would you get?

My only experience is with a Lieca that Rol_P had out in Montana and I was impressed with it.
I do have a older Leopold that I have struggled with and plan on sending it back to Leopold for a check up.

For a very reasonable price, you might want to check out the Sig Sauer rangefinders. I have the 800, and that's fine for my purposes. But the higher end ones are pretty good, from what I hear.

That terrapin is nice but what a price

I really like my Leica 1600b... It'll range well past that 1,600 yards, 1,900 on most decent targets.

And its small laser beam makes it easier to accurately range things when there is cover around the target (trees, brush, etc.)

Also.... EXCELLENT glass, and that can make all the difference sometimes.

Since getting the Leica a couple of years back, I haven't seen the need to even look at new rangefinders... It has the distinction of being one of the few things I have truly been completely satisfied with.

I don't, and have never, used the "b" feature on it... I just need a range, there are better ways to figure in the details than anything built into a rangefinder.

That said.... If that's what you want in a rangefinder, the Gunwerks G7 is nice.

I have a Swaro that I have had for several years and it has served me well. Today I think I would buy a Leupold for less than half the price.

JD338

I think the new Leica 2700 is suppose to MSRP around 900.00. That is probably what I would look at unless the new Nikon 3k and 4k and actually worth a crap. I would bet the beam divergence is pretty large on the Nikon but who knows until they are released.

As Truckdriver mentioned I have a basic Leica 1000. Bought as a demo from Cameraland. Narrow beam reaches beyond my shooting ability.

bdbrown66":1mvvv3dc said:
I think you'll like it. Sig seems to give you a lot of bang for your buck on these units.

Hope so for that price

I've used the Swaro for a few years and it works well. Recently I bought a Sig Kilo 2200. Preliminary tests show that it ranges much faster than the Swaro and the display is easier to see. I haven't tested it side-by-side against the Swaro for ranging yet.

If the Kilo works as well as I hope, I'll sell the Swaro which is still like new in the box. Don't really need two.

Back