New spotting scope

lhsako

Handloader
Jan 12, 2012
I want a new spotter. something that ca be packed on occasion but has superior optics. what do you have that you endorse?

I picked up a Zeiss Dialyt 15-45x in 2010.

Really like it- easy to use and fairly compact. It also wasn't crazy expensive for a Zeiss.

It might not be superior optics, but I purchased a Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50mm Spotting scope last summer and used it deer, antelope, and elk hunting. I thought it performed very well and it's light and compact. I do not mind putting it in my daypack at all!

You might look at the Vortex Razor HD line (particularly the 22-48x65). They seemed to find a really high level "happy medium" among all the factors that most people are looking for in a spotting scope. Great glass, very user friendly eyepiece that is easy to get behind, extremely usable mag range, and a size and weight that is not horrible to pack. The first generation of this spotter (Razor HD 16-48x65) is even more appealing to me -- it's a little lighter, can be found for around $800, and reportedly doesn't suffer much in comparison to the newer generation when it comes to glass quality.

I have a Leupold Golden Ring 12-40x60mm spotting scope that I am quite satisfied with.

JD338

Back