Advantages of a VX-3i Scope w/ Boone and Crockett Reticle

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Hey Fellas -

Its been quite a hiatus but I am back on here. I have a question for all of you to debate and it goes thusly:

What advantages are there to the Boone and Crockett Reticle? I have the chance to buy a brand new in box VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm with either the standard duplex or boone and crockett reticles (my choice) at a price I simply cannot pass up. My biggest and baddest right now is Old Reliable, a Model 70 classic in .30-06 Sprg caliber. That's the one and only rifle I would consider putting a scope like this one on of the various rifles that I own.

I rarely shoot over say 300 yards even for fun.

Should I just stay with the duplex or should I take advantage of the new technology?

Thanks -

FJ4E

I like it, in particular if occasionally you might find yourself with the opportunity to push 400.
Out to 300 with a 200 yard zero, holding for 300 is just a 7 inch plus or minus an inch correction, easy enough with a standard duplex but I really liked the B&C just the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Doc.

Yeah for the extra coin on something I may not use...I'm not so sure that I need it.

So far my system has been hold high at 300 and the "duplex taper" typically works well as a 400 yard holdover point when I zero at 200 yards like Salmonchaser mentioned.

Any other opinions?

I’d rather have a known holdover point than guess myself.

Saying that, if you’re comfortable with a duplex then I’d run it.

The benefit of doing a little guiding since I retired from the PD in 2011 is seeing an extra 10 elk and deer killed every year.
The more technology a hunter carries the greater the likelihood he or she will have trouble getting a shot off.
Most of the elk are shot between 200 and three hundred. Amazing how much screwing around some guys do. Even guys who have done quite a bit of hunting. Dial for three hundred, where is she now, 275, off the gun and adjust, I can't find her, there she is.
I've learned to just say still three hundred if that is close enough.
I just put a VX5 on my 338. When I practice I don't adjust out to three hundred, I just shoot the 10 inch plate. I have the windplex reticule kinda wish I had gone with the B&C.
We'll see if I screw up this fall.

Me I like to practice the K.I.S.S method and the only busy reticle I have in any of my scopes is a wind plex in a VX-3i 3.5-10X40 on my 338Win. I have two scopes with side focus and find myself always adjusting the focus when shooting at the range. When hunting I set it for what it is sighted in for and leave it alone. For me the less I have to worry with while hunting is better.

Having watched folks fool around with " hold over" reticles for years, they are great and work as they should,
However it has been my experience that the same fella that does great at the range on paper, is actually quite
Apt to screw up at crunch time with hold over reticles??? In the excitement of actual killing because (buck fever) is usually involved. ( Regardless of what they claim at the bar) Hunters seam to hit stuff better with scopes that DAIL vs holding over in my experience, although there really shouldn't be much difference? Busy reticles seam to be extremely easy to screw up with on game in the heat of the moment......
Another factor with them is as it gets dark ALOT of them the fine hash lines disappear!! So right when the big fella is likely to finally appear your "super duper" hold over reticle that works perfectly at noon time has now disappeared with you really need it! Ditto on cheat cheats on dialing scopes! Works fine at the range but seams to get screwed up commonly on real world "hunting" applications??
I have a hunter with a Huskamaw scope ( which I think is the most over priced optics going, VX1 quality at
Zeiss price) BUT even as nervous as he gets, when I give him the range he can dail it ( with shaking hands) and he has made some incredible shots on game, and lots of them when a B&C reticles would be long since
out of business. Ditto on my Zeiss Z600 reticle in my Conquest; wonderful in good light but HOPELESS in failing light! When I can still plainly see game the reticle isn't even there.
And of course there are Vx3s and then there are Vx3s. The top end 30 mm tube models with side focus are
Stellar optics, and I highly recommend them. However the standard 1" tube models; without side focus, are really a compleatly different scope, I won't go into
how different ;for it will most certainly upset everyone on here,that owns one.
I am sure there are guys that never mess up with busy reticles, or cheat cheats, and never get excited, and have never gotten buck fever: I just have NEVER had the opportunity to meet this fella!

No doubt, I keep my Jarrett handy in the house. I bet I've taken at least 100 dry fire shots on deer and elk on my property since I put the VX5 on the rifle. Making sure I'm training my brain and eye to see what they need to see at low light.

When I no longer get buck fever I'll quit killing deer and elk. Not sure that's ever going to happen though.

salmonchaser":14k8ppze said:
No doubt, I keep my Jarrett handy in the house. I bet I've taken at least 100 dry fire shots on deer and elk on my property since I put the VX5 on the rifle. Making sure I'm training my brain and eye to see what they need to see at low light.

Continuous practice is the key as you have no doubt found out. But a lot of us don't have the opportunity to see live game on our property since we live in different areas where houses get in the way or neighbors see you pointing a gun and get stupid.
salmonchaser":14k8ppze said:
When I no longer get buck fever I'll quit killing deer and elk. Not sure that's ever going to happen though.

Don't know if you can call it Buck fever or not but I sure get a rush when I see a big Buck standing where I can shoot him during the season.

salmonchaser":1jazw7q1 said:

Same here. I get excited seeing pictures of elk!

Roger, I'm blessed, I know that. I don't take it for granted.
Scotty, just to get your weekend going:IMG_1598.JPG
About 10 minutes from the house

IMG_1991.JPG
From the back porch.

Happy Easter

When ai had my Remington 700 Classic 6.5x55 with a Leupold 6x42 on it, I also used the pointed duplex taper point for my 400 yard aim point as the rifle was zeroed for 200 yards. Very simple. Only used it one time on a cow elk out in the wide open.

I have several Leupolds with and without the B&C reticle. I do find that I like the B&C reticle, and have used it on a couple of occassions on deer in the 350 yard range, including one wounded buck, and found that having the extra aimpoints useful in those instances. Both times were middle of the day. The other time was on an elk at 475 yards. As he was moving to cut my wind I estimated him at 400 and used the reticle accordingly. I grazed his brisket right behind his front leg. Realizing that I had underestimated the distance, I corrected my aiming and hit him double lungs behind the shoulder on the next shot. This was with decent light, early in the morning. The biggest factor here was practicing with the reticle at these distances prior to the hunt.

I also find it less busy than some other makes, and therefore simpler to use. The lines are a little heavier than some other makes which helps in lower light conditions. It isn't perfect, but without going to a dial which takes extra time to set (but does require being at the proper power setting), or a lighted reticle which needs batteries, I find it simpler and less likely to cause issues.

I do practice with this reticle, both at the range and out in the field, at various ranges and in different types of terrain and cover, so that I am familiar with it and can use it effectively when needed.

Is it worth the extra $?
Only you can decide.
For me, I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
I have needed it on the few occasions and was glad for the fact that I did not have to make as big a guess in my aiming to accomplish my task with confidence. The proof was in the harvest!

SJB358":1w831riw said:
salmonchaser":1w831riw said:

Same here. I get excited seeing pictures of elk!
I agree with both of these statements 100%.

There is some real good info on the thread from those who guide and hunt a lot. One problem I have is too many different scope reticles on different rifles, maybe not a problem for you younger guys, but the older I get the simpler things need to be. I have been trying to get the same scope brand and reticle on all my big game hunting rifles, so there is less confusion at crunch time.

My son has the 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle on his 6mm Remington and I put the same exact scope on my .280 AI that I built. I love the B&C reticle and I think it's simple and quick. I took my first animal with it which was a nice cow elk with one shot at 450 yards. She went about 20 yards and tipped over. My next was a 4x4 whitetail at 200. Since that's where it's sighted it was point and shoot. No need to use the hash marks.

I find the marks easy to find and the scope is not too busy like some I've seen. It seems to work very well for me and I really like it. All of my other scopes on my own personal rifles have been 4x and 6x Leupolds with the duplex crosshair. I sight those rifles in for 2 3/4" high at 100 and I now the drops of each at 300, 400, and 500 yards which is a long way to shoot at a game animal.

If it were me I would go with the B&C reticle. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Everyone here knows my philosophy which is the KISS method (keep it simple stupid), 99% of my scopes have the duplex cross wires. All my serious rifles have turret's on them, they are all sighted in to be dead on at 300 yards and that allows a high shoulder hold out to 400 yards and change. I have 4 range cards pre-made which are checked with the rifles every year. If the game is farther one usually has time to dial in a few min of elevation. My longest measured shot on an ELK was 540 yards I was bedded in on a nice flat spot watching an opening cross canyon which I had seen a number of elk in the night before. I had ranged several trees on the upper and lower part of the opening and chopped down a few bushes to lay in front of me. The rife was on the bi-pod dialed in to 14 power, with my bino's, and range finder laying next to it. After laying there all of 20 min the elk started feeding into the opening. I rechecked the range dialed it in and took the first shot at the standing elk broadside watching the sun rise. I saw him flinch as the bullet passed over him and I chambered the second round, visually corrected and put him down. I probably have 4 or 5 more at a similar range but unmeasured . I have confused the pins on my bow a couple of times and I know others that have done the same. I have never confused where those duplex cross wires are. That winter I bought a new range finder and have not shot over one since. Just my .02 and it seems to work for me.

The more simple the better. I have enough to think about just Picking a spot, keeping it there, and double checking my back stop. That's actually a lot more than three things. The scope that I do the most hunting with (deer) is a set of target cross hairs (Too fine, really) with a 2MOA dot. Like the old k4's were available with. Drop dead simple- quickest handiest range finder ever. 'Course I limit my shots to 300 or less with any gun, unless I'm just punching paper or busting rocks. CL

I appreciate the wide range of experience that has been used to weigh in here. You all have given me a lot to think about. I have long used the regular duplex crosshairs on my rifles and after messing around up at the range with several "loaners" I can see that a B&C type reticle definitely has field application(s).

I have nearly decided for sure to go with the 3.5-10x40mm in the VX-3i series, but will have to think on this a little more before I decide the reticle for sure.

If anyone else has anything to share, by all means chime in.

FJ4E

Back