Just sharing some Leupold CDS info I received from them.

350JR

Handloader
Sep 21, 2012
I've been looking at several models of Leupold scopes to put on my new-to-me Rem 700 Classic in 7x57 and while "I've never needed one before" :wink: both the firedot and CDS options sounded like something I might be willing to save up for and spoil myself a little.

For a bit I looked at the disc but available once in awhile FX-3 Competition Hunter 6x until the firedot bug bit me and no one could tell me if the "NIB" one for sale would come with the "CDS target" (tall) clearly listed in the scope's product features on their website......so I fired off an email to Leupold asking.

Their reply cleared up what I think is a confusing subject about if a model comes with a CDS dial free of charge.......or not.

It seems there are models that CANNOT be fitted for the CDS, some that can but it's not included in the price, and finally, the ones that have the cost of the CDS dial built in.

The Competition Hunter was in the second group and they cleared up how I could tell.

Copied and pasted from their email.

"With regard to the CDS Target dial, it is an option to purchase a target dial with your custom ballistics ($80), but it is not included in the price of the scope.
Only scopes which include the descriptor "CDS" as part of the model designation (eg - VX-3i 6.5-20x50 Side Focus CDS Target)are due a free CDS dial from the custom shop."

This is probably old news to long time Leupy fans and users but was news to me.

Passing it along in case one or two others were scratching their heads wondering.
I understood what it meant but it made me look up the word "descriptor" too. :lol:

God Bless
Steve

Thanks for posting that Steve as I think it is news to lots of folks. I just had a poor experence with Leupold CDS dail
from their Custom Shop............. waited exactly //2 months\\ for the dail: :cry: And it then arrives a week too late, for a Moose hunt, I really needed it for. This sorta left a bad taste in my mouth. Then I opened the package and was shocked to see the dail was
a disaster! The laser or programing had put wrong numbers in and left others out.........
I called em and the fella says " yar sh;t happens" and says
I will send ya another one: So 3 days later; :roll: it shows up????? and that one is ok. The dail is for their "top O line" Vx6 model. Go figure. :evil:

Back