Leupold

hunternyny

Handloader
Feb 6, 2012
Leupold was at one time one of "the" scopes to own. many liked them and their warranty --but then they seem to go through a time many were down on them---so who is the new Leupold

Glass, warranty, quality, dependability, and price

both--in general, the entire line that a company offers and more specifically a "fixed" for a 340 Weatherby

I am very weary of them. I have read that the insides are made in China. Hence the huge problems with the VX6 models.

FOTIS":3gdtvlwb said:
I am very weary of them. I have read that the insides are made in China. Hence the huge problems with the VX6 models.

+ 1 I can no longer recommend them, which is sad, because at one time I liked them, a lot.

John, to your second question--who then?

I like the Zeiss Conquest V-6 and I really like the Swaro Z8i 1-8x 24 with the flex change feature -------BUT

Both Mike ( hodgeman) and Scotty, claim I am not playing with a full deck anymore and not to listen to me, as they claim both the Simmons and Vortex are every bit as good as the Zeiss and Swaro, and at a much friendlier price---and they might be right. Maybe try to find a way to look through the ones you are interested in would help you make a decision

SWFA just flat out levelled the playing field period! Great glass, great prices, repeatable clicks, great warranty and very very robust! The only thing they need to do is work on a lighter package. The only thing missing IMO

FOTIS":1qypkye0 said:
SWFA just flat out levelled the playing field period! Great glass, great prices, repeatable clicks, great warranty and very very robust! The only thing they need to do is work on a lighter package. The only thing missing IMO

They're also missing a good SFP lineup as well as MOA reticles.

If you want MOA or SFP, then SWFA isn't for you. FFP and Mil only.

FOTIS":2pmyxd73 said:
+1

I bought a SWFA SS 3-15x42 MOA for my 25-06 and I love it, if does have a FFP. I sold a Leupold and a Vortex Viper and looking at a SWFA SS fixed 6x42 for my 300 wsm. https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-6x42-tactical- ... ope-3.html

My VX-6 3-18x44 mm is back at Leupold now for the second time because it won't track. I shot a group that went .437" at 100 yards but couldn't get an absolute zero on it to do a box test.
2 weeks later, Leupold technician calls me and says that my scope is perfectly fine. I told him I shot a .437" group but couldn't get it to zero and his comment to me was "We hear this from time to time but we tested your scope on a known rifle that was shot by a sharp shooter."
He also claimed that he was unaware of any problems with the turrets on the VX-6 or any tracking issues.
I asked him why the VX-6HD went to a different turret system and he said it was just the evolution of the scope.
They can't swap out scopes even though I am willing to pay the difference to get the better turrets.
And a lot of you know how much I promoted Leupold.
Not any more. Pretty pathetic

JD338

Gee you guys make me nervous since I have one of the newer VX3i on my 338Win. So far it has been a winner and works great ( knock on wood ).

I have a vx3i 3.5-10 on my 340 bee and it rox... so far

I like the power range and weight of the vx3i but don't care for the wind plex reticle but can deal with it. The scope was on sale and cheaper then the same model with other reticles and the same price as the plain plex so I decided why not I'm a sucker for a deal where I can get more for less.

The reticles with hash marks,dots and rings for range and windage compensation are best in the larger object lens scopes where they appear larger and spread out. JMO :wink:

Roger,
Give the WindPlex reticle a chance. I've used it out to 800 yards and for a quick adjustment for wind, it's spot on.

JD338

thanks to all how contributed, appreciated. April, am I too old to be adopted ?

Fotis, since I am looking at one for the 340, perhaps I will follow your lead, thank you

JD338":2ml24n13 said:
Roger,
Give the WindPlex reticle a chance. I've used it out to 800 yards and for a quick adjustment for wind, it's spot on.

JD338
Jim I'm not saying it isn't a good reticle just needs to be in a 30mm tube and 50mm objective and first focal plane would let me see it better.
The 1" tube with a 40mm objective and 2nd focal plane makes the hash marks look awful small, the only good thing is they stay the same size in the 2nd focal plane scope as you increase or decrease the power settings.

I've always owned Leupold scopes and have had good service with them for the most part. However, I have had some issues (tracking) with the last several vx3's I've owned and it has been very frustrating. I have a newer vx3i and so far it's been good. I have an older vx2 that tracks spot on and probably better than any leupold I've ever owned. The two vx3's went back and were passed by leupold but i'm still having tracking problems with them and have about had enough. Thinking about trying something different with my next scope purchase.

A friend uses the gen.3 DDoptics 5-30x50 on his Sako 300 wsm and is very happy. Out to 650 y, he has first-shot hits with a combination of a ballistic app and the tight number of clicks.
Maybe Zeiss and Swaro have somewhat better lenses, but for daylight-use there is no difference.
Reasonable price, services ok from what I heared.
My wife has a 2,5-10x56 and it does, what it is supposed to do.
Definitely better than my Meopta.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I’ve had too many go bad. From the VX6’s to their newer FX3 6X’s. I have tried to spend my money to support them but if you are seriously cranking on them just a little it’s not if it’s going it’s when.

I suffer the weight penalty of the SS SWFA’s since I’d rather my Bullets go where their supposed to rather than saving a few ounces. Sucks they are heavy but they really aren’t any heavier than anything else in the same league.

First time you do a 1 shot zero with a SWFA it’ll sell you. I’m a big Mil/FFP plane fan so that’s a plus on my side.

I’ve had the worst time with a few of the VX6’s. Tried my best to love them and if just going on looking through them they are excellent. It’s the shooting part where the wheels fall off.

I’m a fan of Leupold in a set-and-forget situation. I’ve never had one that dialed correctly, from the BR models to VX3. I find they hold a zero just fine, but getting there can be frustrating. I adjust one dial at a time, then tap on the side of the scope. I understand this to be common, and the reason is that the internals are built in such a fashion that the scope can be very light but still accurate once zero’d. I’ve never owned the Mark4 or any of the higher end VX-series.

Recently picked up a new SWFA SS 16X. I have not mounted it yet. It seems like it has a very, very small eye box, may not be an issue once mounted though. It is built like a tank, but I don’t find it to be extremely heavy, at least not as heavy as my SIG Tango4, I suppose due to being a fixed power.

I’ve got a shelf full of scopes. My go - to is a cheap MILDOT Bushnell Elite 3000 series 5-15 with a 1” tube when I need to test a problem rifle or develop a load with a scope I have 100% confidence in. I bet it’s been mounted at least 50 times on different rifles, from AR’s to .300 mags. It’s dials perfectly and never misses a lick. How a $350 scope could be this good goes against everything the writers tell me I should know about optics.

I never really got to dial my VX6’s very much. They were scrambled pretty much before I’d finished the load work.

Still have a couple older VXIII’s and M8’s I won’t get rid of but buying their new stuff is a crap shoot.

I’ve heard the same about the 16X SS as well GB.. never owned any of those. I have a bunch of their 1x4’s, 6’s and 3x9’s. Those have all been great. With the 6X MQ being my favorite all arounder.

I’ve had some older vx1 and vx2 leupolds and they were good scopes for that price range. I never did any tracking or dialing test. They were just set and forget on some old hunting rifles. So I can’t testify for that part of the scopes. My Nikon monarch 3 and my viper pst gen 2 have been great though! They track extremely well and stay set. I’ve heard nothing but good on the swfa scopes also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back