Range Scope

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
I would like a scope with more power and hopefully a fine crosshair for range testing loads, any suggestions. My favorite scope to hunt with is a 2.5-8x36 with a duplex reticle, but it completely covers a 1" center.

I’d lock into a SWFA 10, 12 or 16X with the MQ Reticle. For under 300 bucks come Labor Day I don’t think you’d be disappointed. I’ve been thinking of doing the same thing myself.

I've got a SWFA 10x42....and I have to report that it is very nice for a $300 scope.

Here's a range testing secret that will work with your current scope...

Use a target with a square bullseye - which are readily available.

Then, line up your crosshairs on the lower left hand corner of the square. The horizontal crosshair along the bottom of the square. The vertical crosshair along the left side of the square.

NOT in the center.

I've used this technique for 20+ years, and it tightens up my groups. Instead of wandering around "somewhere" in the black. I'm consistently aiming at one corner of the square. Since I hunt with a lot of modest powered, fixed-power scopes, this works really well for me.

Worth a try!

Regards, Guy

Sometimes I slap a square piece of duck tape on used target and shoot the corners as Guy described.

Guy, Thanks much for the tip. I went back to the range today and I did see a tightening in the groups.

I bought a rifle that had a Leupold VXII 6-18 with the tall target turrets . it dials good and seems to hold zero . the glass leaves a lot to be desired . it works great for range use .

Back