End of adjustment

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
I have a single shot that simply does not want to meet my expectations.
I undershot a deet at 80'. testing at the range, first two good, next two - after cooling down - several inches low with handloads.
I have to crank the dial all the way down to get POI low enough.
Now a friend told me that scopes are prone to jumping if you you hit either end. Which would explain a lot and would either mean to sell the rifle or get another base.
I will deal POI 30 clicks up and test if it gets more consistent, but would be nice to hear from you...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

If the scope was on the gun, I’d start with remounting it. If the cranked screws unevenly it will pull the scope out of alignment. You really don’t want to be on either end of a 30poi adjustment. After adjusting my scope, I tap the rings to make sure the adjustment set in. Don’t know if that’s best practice. I was taught it by a gun shop pro who has a 200yd range at his facility and he personally sights in over 3000 guns a year. (Mix of new gun, new scope, new loads, problem solving etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried 2 scopes that work on other guns, same problem. So the base must be off. Still I can can get the impact to where I want it with one load, the other one I can't get low enough.
I tighten scope screws with a torque wrench.
I will test if the groups tighten, when i turn the dial to the middle.
Then I at least know if the gun shoots.
If, I go for a new base

It can and I did, but it doesn't change anything...
I don't really need the gun. I give it one more try and if it doesn't work, good-bye.
Was planned for my boy, but if I don't feel confident, I will not send him hunting with it.
It is the first rifle I can't make shoot properly so far (out of about 20 for me and friends), and the market is big enough, even for south-paws.

IMHO- from what you've said I would try different bases, or shim them if you need to. I had a gunsmith mount and bore sight a scope on my 250. When I got to the bottom of my adjustments and I couldn't hit a 8x11 sheet of paper at 50yds, I took it back to him. He said, "ya- I thought it might be a bit uneven". A piece of .0010 shim stock under the front base remains there to this day. Problem solved. I'm currently trying to help a friend sight in a .20 ga slug gun. He is 4 inches low at 20 yds and at the top of his adjustments with no movement in point of impact. We ran out of time to shoot at 50 yards nad I am hoping he will turn up "high". Otherwise we are in the same boat as you. Best of luck. Let us know what you find out. CL

I'll second jimbires recommendation for the Burris Signature rings. Those offset inserts are a great system or taking care of your problem. I've got those rings on 3 different rifles now.

I have a set of 1" Burris Signature Rings with the inserts available for $30 shipped.

Thanks, but it is a 30 mm scope and I guess you would reconsider shipping costs to Germany ;-)

The easiest and cheapest way to resolve the problem is probably switching to a set of Burris Signature rings, as suggested.

I will take a look if they are available here and give them a try.
Thanks guys!

Back