Leopold CDS system

I used the system on VX6 for 2 seasons & then took it out :wink:. It seemed to work really well but I am to old for that stuff :lol:.
When shooting targets out to 600 yards it was great but when hunting I used my years of shooting the 270win & had a 2” high at 100 zero. When game came into view, out of instinct I just held accordingly & squeezed the trigger so it really was no benefit too me :roll:.

Blessings,
Dan

I've used the CDS system a couple of times and was less than impressed with the tracking.

I think Leupold makes a good "set it and forget it" scope. In my experience I could use the CDS to dial for extended range out to 800 yards but when i returned to the 200 yard zero- I was off by several MOA. I tried it several times, but the return to zero was always off by a fairly large margin. My partner has had the same experience and eventually pulled his dials off and went back to straight caps.

On the other hand- I've got a 20 year old Leupold scope that has never been moved from it's initial zero position- it has stayed zeroed through a bunch of shooting and rough treatment.. I think Leupolds stay adjusted, but the tracking and return to zero is just not up to par with other players in the market.

sask boy":2wg67adv said:
I used the system on VX6 for 2 seasons & then took it out :wink:. It seemed to work really well but I am to old for that stuff :lol:.
When shooting targets out to 600 yards it was great but when hunting I used my years of shooting the 270win & had a 2” high at 100 zero. When game came into view, out of instinct I just held accordingly & squeezed the trigger so it really was no benefit too me :roll:.

Blessings,
Dan
that's how I sight in as well. 2.5 hi @ 100, 250 or so zero. my real question is when u adjust windage/elevation, does it move the reticle to wear it should go? the vari-X 3 's seldom do this with the old erector system.

hodgeman":2pan2flh said:
I've used the CDS system a couple of times and was less than impressed with the tracking.

I think Leupold makes a good "set it and forget it" scope. In my experience I could use the CDS to dial for extended range out to 800 yards but when i returned to the 200 yard zero- I was off by several MOA. I tried it several times, but the return to zero was always off by a fairly large margin. My partner has had the same experience and eventually pulled his dials off and went back to straight caps.

On the other hand- I've got a 20 year old Leupold scope that has never been moved from it's initial zero position- it has stayed zeroed through a bunch of shooting and rough treatment.. I think Leupolds stay adjusted, but the tracking and return to zero is just not up to par with other players in the market.
I could not agree more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many times if I go 1 click ( 1/4 M.O.A.) it jump 2or more inches. had Leopold tear them aprt as per warranty. still does the same dam thing.....frustrating

I use the CDS on some of my rifles and like it. On Praire Dogs it's sold me on buying more for my others rifles. I have no tracking problems but will admit if I adjust it several MOA I just bump the stock wither it needs it or not, just something I have been doing to scopes for 35 plus years when sighting in.

Now the reality of Big Game hunting by sighting in 3 inches high at 100 yards with my .264 Win Mag I can just point and shoot out to 375 yards, 6mm Rem about 350 yards this is all for Deer size game.
Fact is 98% of my Hunting Deer and Antelope they are well with in this range in 40 years of big game hunting.
Truth is a good fixed 4 or 6 power scope just works and I carry my variables on 5x most of the time walking, now if only Leupold made a 5x fixed powered scope.

I had a CDS dial installed on a vari-x II last winter. I left it in MOA instead of sending in my data for the custom turret. I mounted it on my 243 and have just enough elevation adjustment to get to 800 yards. I have taken it to 800 several times and it seems to track reliably as far as I can tell. My only complaint is, I wish it had a zero stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the CDS with custom cut dails for my favorite loads
On 3 rifles, in Vx2,3 and a Vx6. I have had great luck with the system though my Vx 2 can be off one click occasionally. The 3 and 6 both have 30mm tubes and track fine for the limited times I twist them for hunting. They have ZERO stop for returning but they do NOT LOCK,and I have found the larger dail on my Vx6 seams to
constantly be off when the gun is carried around !!!!! So I have to check it all the time to make sure it is set where I left it............. If I were twisting the dails daily I think you probably need to look at a scope that is made to do that.
For normal hunting CDS works fine.

I’ve had a few and never had luck with them. Their RTZ has stunk for me. If it’s Leupold I’m using I’m setting them and leaving them alone.

if your shooting out to 500 yards max , give the Boone and Crockett reticle a look . they work great for me .

I'm in the process of returning two VX-6 scopes to Leupold due to tracking issues. I agree they make a good standard scope but I'm disappointed with the return to zero on the CDS.

Back