Spotting Scope Problem

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Has anyone seen this before?
It's on the inside of the lenses surface.

Attachments

• KIMG0155.jpeg
    KIMG0155.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 931
Yup - on an old B&L spotting scope. Had to send the eyepiece to Bushnell and they cleaned and re-sealed it for free.

Nimrod84":1xnzs9yp said:
Yup - on an old B&L spotting scope. Had to send the eyepiece to Bushnell and they cleaned and re-sealed it for free.
Did they say what it was?
I'll have to send the whole scope back but that's not a problem just curious what it is.

I've read scopes are coated inside with something sticky , to catch debris so it doesn't float around and get on a lens . I wonder if this is the sticky stuff ?

jimbires":29yyvs3y said:
I've read scopes are coated inside with something sticky , to catch debris so it doesn't float around and get on a lens . I wonder if this is the sticky stuff ?
Good question don't know. There is a very sticky lube that has seeped out from around the focus barrel so I guess it could be.
This scope was made in the 1990's so it's hard to tell what it is. I've been told it was fungus on another web sight.
It's going to get boxed up and sent to KS for repairs since it is still under warranty.

TD,

They didn't state what it was, I figured it was fungi / mold or a plasticized coating was "burned" or otherwise damaged by heat. For the coating to be "burned" it would need to be focused on the sun or a reflection for an extended period of time for it to possibly heat-up enough.

If they tell you what it is, please post back and let us know.

Nimrod84 I'll try and remember to do that.
Sounds like a sun shade would solve the problem of the coating getting burned and might be a good investment.

Sunshade can definitely help. It really depends on how the lenses are protected, some use a sticky coating like Jimbires mentioned while others use a plasticized coating or lenses that can melt / distort if the conditions are wrong. I am sure others methods are used that I haven't an inkling that they exist.

Since this was a bottom level ($150) spotting scope I'm sure it didn't have the top quality lenses coatings.
Since it has long been discontinued I'm also hoping they just replace the lenses with a newer one with better coatings, clean, Fog proof,waterproof and reseal it .

Back