Scope for my 22 MAG

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Now understand I have one already... nice one courtesy of a friend. 4-12x50 but.... its winter now and my "shooting days" are over for a while so I get an itch to spend money (Otherwise known as cabin fever....but I digress) So I'd like to go lighter. That 50mm Bushnell is a heavy thing..

I'd like to stay w/ a 12x. Its fun to shoot groups as small as the guys who think their 17HMR's are "the thing" in 100 yd rimfire. (yes- I'm thinking about a 25WSM :) ) The magnification helps.

I decided against a MIL Dot set up. I'm too old to learn and I like the KISS principle. Some reference hash marks might be ok but nothing too busy. Also for less than $300 I'm not interested in "Dialing", "Flat lander" windage and elevation are good enough for me. But... it MUST stay where I put it. That's my biggest gripe with what I've got...its always within an inch or two but never hits hwere it did the last time I had it out. Frustrating but with this nut behind the trigger not bad enough to throw it out.

Ive been looking at the Vortex crossfire II and the Diamond back. BTW whats the difference between those two? Not enough experience the VX Freedom but considering that as well.

With all those parameters.... What do you recommend?

Yes- I don't reload for it, but the 22 Mag is my favorite rifle to shoot. :) CL

CL, I was thinking of one of these for my 22 mag. https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-2-5-10x32- ... scope.html

Seems like it might be a perfect scope for a 22 mag, I have a Leupold 2-7 Rifleman on mine now and it is ok. I would like a little more powerful scope though.

My Savage 22 mag is my favorite rifle to shoot as well and usually goes with me all over our property, in the pickup, on the ATV, on the horse or over my shoulder.

I just put a VX Freedom 2-7x33 with MOA reticle rimfire scope on my 10/22 FS carbine, but haven't made it to the range yet (been too windy). Will let you know how it works. Glass seems pretty clear compared to my older Leupold rimfire VX-II 4-12x40 AO scope with Long Range reticle that I have on my 17 Mach II.

If you can find one, I recommend this scope as it has just two small dots (like mil dots) below the duplex reticle, so that you can sight in for a specific distance and then determine what range those dots are for yourr specific rimfire cartridge and load. Relatively simple, ability to focus paralax for various distances you may be plinking or target shooting at, and it is fairly light. I believe that it is about 16 ounces, but I do not recall for sure. I know that thhe VX-3 3.5-10x40 is 16 ounces (1 pound). One of the lightest, and most durable riflescopes out there, and on more of my rifles than any other.

Ensure that you get the rimfire model. Most people make the mistake of putting regular rifles scopes on their rimfires, and then have problems later. Warranties for regular scopes are void by many manufacturers if used on rimfires, as the harmonics are completely different from centerfire cartridges, and will eventually damage the scopes reticles or adjustment mechanisms.

Take a look at the Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 rimfire. I believe it comes with either a standard or BDC reticle.

Back