30mm Scopes and MOA Reticle

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I'm about to become the owner of a Bushnell engage which is a 30mm diameter tube and it has a MOA reticle and knobs to twist.
Not something I would buy but what Bushnell is replacing and older scope I sent in for service.
Is the 30mm scopes any tougher then 1" tube scopes? I don't want to put it on the 300 Win and have it broke the first time out like the scope it replaced which I put on a 300 Bee.
I'll have some pictures up when it comes which will be after the new storm blows threw KS maybe next week.
Since I didn't pay anything for it and the other scope was 10yrs old I won't be too disappointed with it and it will be a cheap learning tool and I'll see how long the dials last along with using a hold over reticle.

Rodger,

It really depends upon the manufacturer. Some companies use more metal to make their scope tubes, which will make the tube wall thicker, while others use the same amount of metal to make their 30mm tubes as they do their 25mm tubes. This makes the wall thinner, and therefore can be weaker; depends on the material used (read type of metal alloy and its specific properties). You will need to determine what material and thickness Bushnell is using in their Engage scopes to know for sure.They do advertise a no fault warranty, so if you should have a problem, they should remedy it.

Unfortunately I do not know much about these scopes. Saw an ad recently, but have not been able to learn much about them from thier website.

Thanks Gill I'm in the same boat as you and honestly I wouldn't buy one for my self and would prefer a Burris for a lower priced scope.
Bushnell does have a lifetime warranty and that is how I got this one as a replacement.
Their web site is sketchy about info on them and I even talked to a CS rep and still don't know anymore.
Guess I'll find out when it comes.

The mounts and rings also play into the equation.
You might want to consider a picatanny mount with the Leupold PRW or equalivent rings.

JD338

Rodger
A couple of years ago I purchased a Leupold LR 4.5 X 14, with adjustable elevation turret, here on the forum for a very attractive price. It is the only 30mm scope I own. For Christmas my wife (with the help of one of the enablers here) presented me with a Kimber lightweight in 280 AI. I was able to get mounts (Talley from Midway) and mounted the scope before I headed to AZ. This is a robust scope, it feels and looks very solid. Of course I haven't not put a round through it yet to check out how it functions, but I was impressed. I was able to scrounge up enough stuff to do some load development while I am here, and have built a shelf in my shed for one of my 50 year Herters press's. The rest of the stuff I had laying around my reloading room. Shooters pro shop was a big help and made a rush shipment of some 168 LRAB, to try out while I am down here. And with a couple hundred bullets of other varieties I will hopefully have an elk load worked up before I leave top go back north.

Elkman":u8aqeui9 said:
Rodger
A couple of years ago I purchased a Leupold LR 4.5 X 14, with adjustable elevation turret, here on the forum for a very attractive price. It is the only 30mm scope I own. For Christmas my wife (with the help of one of the enablers here) presented me with a Kimber lightweight in 280 AI. I was able to get mounts (Talley from Midway) and mounted the scope before I headed to AZ. This is a robust scope, it feels and looks very solid. Of course I haven't not put a round through it yet to check out how it functions, but I was impressed. I was able to scrounge up enough stuff to do some load development while I am here, and have built a shelf in my shed for one of my 50 year Herters press's. The rest of the stuff I had laying around my reloading room. Shooters pro shop was a big help and made a rush shipment of some 168 LRAB, to try out while I am down here. And with a couple hundred bullets of other varieties I will hopefully have an elk load worked up before I leave top go back north.
I'm sure you will get it up and running in no time Bill.
You talk about the old Herters press reminded me that I have a C&H super C laying in a box that I started with but don't plan on mounting it none too soon since it was a pain to use.
I really don't know what I will do with the scope when I get it since the one it replaced had laid in the box for at least 5 years before I decided to send it in for repairs.
This feels more like winning a door prize at a gun show then replacing a scope.

Stole some pictures from a web page to show what it should look like when I get it.
I may need some instructions from Scotty on how to use this one. :roll: :lol: :grin:
Might put it on the 7mm Rem and give it a little love since it might be best suited for that rifle with it's lighter recoil I won't break it as quick as compared to the 300wm and the eye relief is 3.6" as advertised.
Might take JDs advise and get a 20 MOA rail and some tactical rings for it.
Any suggestions on rings and base?
Not looking at buying high dollar stuff since this is not a high dollar scope.

Attachments

• bushnell_engage_2-10x44_reticle.jpg
    bushnell_engage_2-10x44_reticle.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 684
  • bushnellengage-11.jpg
    bushnellengage-11.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 684
  • bushnellengage-3.jpg
    bushnellengage-3.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 684
  • bushnell_engage_hw.jpg
    bushnell_engage_hw.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 684
The Engage looks like a nice scope. Does it have the zero stop feature? After you get it mounted, please give a review.

grry10":2iq2kt2j said:
The Engage looks like a nice scope. Does it have the zero stop feature? After you get it mounted, please give a review.
I haven't received the scope but from what I have read once the scope is zeroed on the rifle the turrets can be reset to zero so you can dial up and then back down to zero. I hope that helps.

Edit

I just got the scope and if you mean locking turrets the answer is yes since you pull up on the turrets to turn them and push them down to lock them in place.

Back