Scope Upgrades

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Haven't been able to spend much the last few years due to various reasons but it looks like in the next while we will be able to spend a bit more on things we enjoy.

The only scopes I have faith in right now to hold zero and not fall apart with what we have are the three Burris FF II scopes, they have been solid. We really like the Ballistic Plex on these set and forget scopes. We have a Bushnell Elite 2-7x32 that so far seems rock solid and will find it's way over to the BLR 358 Win.

Thinking of these scopes for my Rem 700 35 Whelen and heavy barrel Savage 10 260 Remington.

- Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 illuminated with the Forceplex reticle (thinking about this for the Whelen the most)
- SWFA 3-9x40 (either rifle)
- SWFA 6x42 (either rifle)
- SWFA 10x42 (260 Rem)
- Burris FF E1 3-9x40 (the illuminated version because of that hard to see reticle in low light conditions - 260 Rem)

I wish the SWFA scopes were illuminated, they are a lot less money than the SHV on the plus side especially the fixed 6X.

Thoughts on those particular models? I could use the hash marks for out further or dial for longer range with 30 mm scopes. Looking for good scopes that stay zeroed in from year to year. Might as well add in what bases and mounts to use with the 30 mm rings too while we're at it.

Gerry I have this on my M70 338 and I really like it which is unusual for me since I'm not a 3-9 fan. The reticle is the thing that sold me this scope simple but yet very use able.
Natchez has them for a great price. ( $159 )
They work great with the reticle on or off and use a watch battery that is easy to get most any place.

Attachments

• KIMG0097.jpeg
    KIMG0097.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 1,797
  • KIMG0091.jpeg
    KIMG0091.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 1,797
TD I saw that scope and would really like it but it is a special order model for one distributor and is unavailable in Canada. If they ever came out with a scope just like that but with the Ballistic Plex and a simple illuminated dot I would be really happy.

Forgot you live in a country that we can't ship optics to since you may decide to invade us and with out that great technical equipment we would be at a disadvantage.

I would look for the older Leupold VX-3's with B&C reticles. (although they are not illuminated, they are rugged and easy to use, and still have a great warranty).
The older Kahles also have a ballistic reticle and are quality scopes, just hard to find used.
The Trijicon 3-9x40 with mil-dot and green dot is also a great scope. Rugged scopes.

Sorry, just do not know anything about SWFA scopes. I

Curious as to why you are considering a 30mm scope on your 35 Whelen?
Not really a cartridge that requires the elevation adjustment range for long range shooting.It will add weight to your rifle and provides no additional brightness, field of view or light gathering qualities.
Could see it on your 260 if looking to do long range shooting.

I have lost faith in Leupold but I'm keeping the old fixed 6x36 I have for the 303 British, it is a good scope. Funny you mention the Trijicon scope, I have thought about that exact model you mentioned, I'll have to check more into how rugged they are. This country is rough on gear and scopes are no exception.

The reasoning behind the 30 mm scopes and in particular the 3-10x42 SHV with the Forceplex reticle for the 35 Whelen is they are very rugged, if a longer shot is required (350-500 yards) one can use the turrets for the shot. An illuminated scope would be nice since it can be quite dark here even in legal shooting hours.

My only complaint about my SWFA 10x42 is that it is just physically huge.

It has solid optics and adjustments, but it's a tank. It would be fine on a heavy barreled target or varmint type rifle, but I found it too large on my mountain rifle.

That 10x42 should be fine on my 260 which is no lightweight to begin with and is a deer/varmint gun. I think the 6x42 is the same size.

Gerry I have no experience with these but Atholon has a scope that would fit what your looking for at a reasonable price and for what it's worth they have a life time warranty. Camera Land NY is a distributor for them and carry the full line.
They also carry the Hawke brand which is made in England and are air gun rate so they are tough as nails from what I have read about them. Camera Land NY also is a distributor for them and are priced reasonable.
Hope this helps.

Given your variety of needs and wants, a company that might bear watching right now is Meopta. They announced a new line of scopes (they are calling them the Optika 6 line) at last weeks SHOT show. Includes SFP hunting scopes and FFP scopes as well. Looks like everything has illumination, and they have a decent variety of reticles that are reportedly going to get expanded before the scopes become available this spring. Scopes range from 1-6x24 to 5-30x56. Pricing is to range from $499 to $899. Based on what I've read, seems like everyone that looked at them came away extremely impressed.

I have hunted with a guy that has a hawke scope on his 30.06 . I've looked through it , I wouldn't want it . he has also passed up shots late in the day because of low light ability .

Gerry I have a TON of the 6x42 SS MQ’s and it is probably my hands down most favorite hunting scope. Two faults, it’s heavy and it’s big. I’ve never needed illumination with it yet. The 3x9 is pretty awesome as well, a bit more compact but about as heavy.

To me, unless you can’t get by without illumination the 3x9 SS HD is a bargain compared to the 3-10 SHV.

I’m running the old 6x36 with dots on my Whelen now. Got a couple of those older ones and they have been good so far.

If you don’t mind the weight penalty of the 6X SS then you can’t go much better till you spend triple the money and get into the NXS line of NF optics for sheer rugged and reliable use.

I’d not cross the street for a new Leupold variable.

I asked about the newer Zeiss scopes a little while ago , Fotis said his seemed good , I don't seem to hear much about them though . I do like the older 3-9 conquest scopes I have . another scope I seldom hear anything about , Nikon . do they offer anything worthwhile ? I have a 3-9 prostaff on my 22 rimfire , but that's all I know about them . I've never really tried to see how it does in low light . I've been online looking at scopes a little lately . it seems just about everything that's over about 10 power has side focus . I'm guessing it must be the tacticool crowd driving this .

Like I said earlier in the thread I could see getting either a 6x42 or 10x42 SWFA for the 260 and give it a good try. That gun is heavy already so the heavy scope shouldn't make much difference. Seems like they are well thought of and a real bargain which is rare these days.

gerry":1ud4i6bi said:
Like I said earlier in the thread I could see getting either a 6x42 or 10x42 SWFA for the 260 and give it a good try. That gun is heavy already so the heavy scope shouldn't make much difference. Seems like they are well thought of and a real bargain which is rare these days.

Plus they can be used as trapping clubs :lol:

I like them alot. Durable and very easy to get behind.

SJB358":22ughgnb said:

This is why I recommended an older VX-3 (or even a Vari-X III).
They are light, bright and ruggedly reliable! One with the B&C reticle would help on the longer shots.
I know that I like mine, and have never had a manufacturer's problem with one.
The only one I have ever sent in for repair was the one that got smashed on the rocks in a slip on the mountain. Definitely not a scope's fault!

Blkram":1m41amux said:
SJB358":1m41amux said:

They are light, bright and ruggedly reliable! One with the B&C reticle would help on the longer shots.
The only one I have ever sent in for repair was the one that got smashed on the rocks in a slip on the mountain. Definitely not a scope's fault!

Gil, I should have said that better. I have a good passel of older VXIII and VARI X III's that have been excellent to me and still in service. The newer Leupolds haven't been kind to me and I have lost a bunch of faith in them. Maybe I just got unlucky, but I'll put a 3x9 SS on anything I own and pay the weight penalty long before I'd VX3i anything these days.

Saying that, I have a bunch of the older FXII's and M8's that track better with the friction dials than the VX3i's or VX6's have.

SJB358":1u8lm27o said:
Blkram":1u8lm27o said:
SJB358":1u8lm27o said:

Gil, I should have said that better. I have a good passel of older VXIII and VARI X III's that have been excellent to me and still in service. The newer Leupolds haven't been kind to me and I have lost a bunch of faith in them. Maybe I just got unlucky, but I'll put a 3x9 SS on anything I own and pay the weight penalty long before I'd VX3i anything these days.

Saying that, I have a bunch of the older FXII's and M8's that track better with the friction dials than the VX3i's or VX6's have.
Scotty I don't doubt your word one bit since you have had more history with them then me and I still have one VARI X-III on my 30-06 but I also have a VX3i 3.5-10X40 on the M77 338 and it has seen a few rounds threw it with load development and it's still loving life but then I don't twist the dials like you and some others do. I set them and leave them so maybe that's why it's still working.
I do prefer my Zeiss and Meopta scopes over them but was looking to save a dollar when I bought the VX3i or I wouldn't have bought it.

Back