Illuminated Scopes: Good, Bad, Indifferent?

rquack

Beginner
Nov 9, 2005
About 25 years ago I had a very brief fling with an admittedly cheap illuminated reticle scope, I think it was a Swift 4-12 [?] with a reticle that could be illuminated using a control that would vary the intensity of the brightness. It sounded good for hunting at dusk, so I bought it and used it one weekend. Even at its lowest setting the brightness of the reticle caused your pupil to constrict to the point that you could not see beyond the reticle. My good idea, just flat out failed when put to practical use in the real world.

Today I see many, even big name, scope manufacturers building and marketing scopes with illuminated reticles. Have they improved? Will my previous problem still be an issue? Or was my experimental fling with the cheapie just a bad sampling of the market and the better stuff really works?

I'm going to be acquiring a new scope in the next year for a newly acquired hunting rifle and was curious if I should look at this option again??

I have a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50mm with the illuminated TMOA reticle. It works out well for me on my 338 RUM out to 800 yards.
O5wrg1P.jpg

JD338

I have used various red dot sights for precision pistol shooting for over 30 years shooting under lights and in day light of various degrees with out problems till I developed cataracts and the tiny red dot would become distorted.
I recently bought a Burris E1 3-9 which has G4 dot reticle and it has 10 different settings for brightness but don't seem to have a problem with it in low or bright light.
I think the illuminated scopes have come a long way from the first ones that came out.

Attachments

• KIMG0097.jpeg
    KIMG0097.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 2,068
I had an illuminated on my cross bow.

Was useless. Same problem. The illumination blinded me. Fortunately my Excalibur delaminated and I replaced it with a Mission. Great illuminated scope. Could turn it way down and it worked great.

So I bought a HD5 leupold 1-5x firedot.

Excellent scope. Used it this year. At early and late light, no problem. Has 8 or 10 illumination settings. Several for day time, several for night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rquack":1lifpsn0 said:
About 25 years ago I had a very brief fling with an admittedly cheap illuminated reticle scope, I think it was a Swift 4-12 [?] with a reticle that could be illuminated using a control that would vary the intensity of the brightness. It sounded good for hunting at dusk, so I bought it and used it one weekend. Even at its lowest setting the brightness of the reticle caused your pupil to constrict to the point that you could not see beyond the reticle. My good idea, just flat out failed when put to practical use in the real world.

Today I see many, even big name, scope manufacturers building and marketing scopes with illuminated reticles. Have they improved? Will my previous problem still be an issue? Or was my experimental fling with the cheapie just a bad sampling of the market and the better stuff really works?

I'm going to be acquiring a new scope in the next year for a newly acquired hunting rifle and was curious if I should look at this option again??
Check out trijicon accupoint scopes. They are pricey but worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back