Scope advice needed.

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
So I need to scope a 6.5 PRC I am "probably purchasing''.

This of course is one of the hazards of working a Sportsman's Warehouse part time---but that's another story.

The scope must have:

A minimum of 10 power on the high end, must be a variable.

exposed turrets for dialing for LR shooting MOA or MRAD--either

lightweight not crazy light, reliable, and tracks great and around 600-800 bux

What say you? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I would drop Doug a line at Camaralandny or call him and see what he would suggest since he just got back from shot and has seen all the new stuff and knows more about it then I do.

Hard to beat an older Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 with CDS.
But since you are asking about Mil Rad or MOA, I'm not as up on the newer scopes as I used to be. Especially on a budget. But with you workinngin a sporting goods store, I would assume that you are able to acquire for less than retail MSRP.
You might look at Nikon's offering to see if they have what you are looking for.
Or Vortex, but I was not favourably impressed with how easily their scope tubes bent and crushed under proper torque setting when mounting with a Fat Wrench, when they were first coming out. We had this issue with several scopes at the store, and even changed Fat Wrenches to ensure it wasn't the problem. Good thing they had the over the counter warranty, cause we had to use it! They may be better now, as I haven't been around it now for 7 years.
Are you thinking FFP or SFP?

Fotis,

I would say you're right, along with the other gents on here.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

HAWKEYESATX":2hd8cnjb said:
Fotis,

I would say you're right, along with the other gents on here.

Right about what?

For what your looking at I would probably pick this one SWFA SS 3-15X42 Tactical first focal plane. Great military Tasco design.
Really Tasco designed these for a military contract which they lost and sold the designs to SWFA to make up some of the funds spent on development.

I think you have 2 choices.

1. The Super Sniper lineup from SWFA. I have one. It was weird at first but I figured out that the knobs needed cycled stop to stop a bunch of times. It was kinda like it was greased up too much or something and the clicks weren’t positive. After my treatment it’s dead on repeatable. The eye box is a little small would be my only criticism but it’s a straight 16X. Their stuff is the most well reviewed of the budget optics that dial.

2. Bushnell LRHS. I think discontinued but still see them used. Maybe there’s a new name for the same thing....bears some research.

Can’t comment on the others.

Blkram":3r03a6tj said:
........ But with you working in a sporting goods store, I would assume that you are able to acquire for less than retail MSRP.?

EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Either FFP OR SFP is ok

Here she is if it happens that is.

Attachments

• sauer-100-atacama-rifle-1499731-1.jpg
    sauer-100-atacama-rifle-1499731-1.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 1,671
Good looking rifle!
Been reading good things about the Sauers.
Haven't had the pleasure of shooting one.

Sauer DID make fine rifles but today I think they are either over-engeneered (404) or over-priced (rest). If I could get my hands on a 90 or 202 in left-handed at a good price....

Still, they do the job, but I would or will decide against them when my sons need guns.

As for scopes: I usually stick to European makers, since the price-difference is not given here.

My Nikon monarch does a good job, though. 44 mm objective and 20x magnification is great fot testing new loads

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Thebear_78":1v52wbl4 said:
4-14x50 nightforce SHV f1. You won’t be sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over my budget and a little bit of a piggy in weight

I am partial to both the Ziess Conquest (I have two) and the Leupold Scopes, (I have 5) both make just exactly what you are looking for, and within your price range.

I know....My only issue is I demand RELIABLE turret tracking with somewhat reduced weight and price. Hard to get combination!!!!!!

FOTIS":g5aqj1qw said:
I know....My only issue is I demand RELIABLE turret tracking with somewhat reduced weight and price. Hard to get combination!!!!!!
So......what you're actually saying is you're difficult! LOL

you think? LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fotis, check with your manager at SW. When I used to work at Gander Mountain part time years ago, employees could get "pro" discounts on many items which usually amounted to getting it for cost. I think I probably spent as much as I made over the years there. Good luck on your search

I will vote for a Vortex Viper HS-T. I have one on my 460 it tracks out to 600 and back with no problem. It is clear and crisp so much that I bought another one for my Creed. The Nightforce SHV in another great scope for the money.

Hey guys...

I was given an opportunity to purchase one of these NIB for a steal. What is your opinion of this one?

Everything about it matches my needs to a T but I have no idea what tracking is like. It does have the CDS

Please advise if you know.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-Vx-3i- ... SwaM1bbEmN

Back