30-06 scope

thatguySHM

Beginner
Feb 11, 2017
I'm looking at putting a hunting scope on my 30-06. Will be medium range, looking at keeping the weight down.

I've pretty much narrowed it down between a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 with BDC reticle and a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with ballistic firedot reticle.

Both are relatively the same price and weight, neither would be a bad option. Any thoughts on the option? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3x9 x 40 has been the defacto hunting scope in Eastern us for generations..probably for a good reason. The 2.5 -10 x 44 with the fire dot is a nice upgrade IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check out the Weaver Classic V10. Japanese optics, 2-10x. I've had one on my -06 for 25 years. Great scope.

So the Vortex is a non illuminated version, which is the 2.5x10. The Leupold is 3x9 which has the firedot.

I checked the Weaver out, looks like a solid scope for sure. I like a bit more with a reticle than a duplex if I expect shots over 200 yards. All of my woods guns use 2x7 Leupold VX2 with standard duplex, but I don't expect shots much over 100 yards in the stands and that's a stretch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My oldest Son has a eye injury from playing junior hockey a number of years ago. About 5 years ago I was able to pick up a VX-R with a fire dot for him and he stated it was the best thing I could have got him. Last fall we had to change the battery if I remember right :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back