Scope for .30-30

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
My eyes aren't what they used to be, so looking for suggestions for scoping my lever action. Was thinking low powered variable with Weaver see through rings just as a backup?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

I hear you on the need for scoping the lever guns. Each of mine wears a scope. I've never found the see through rings to be of much value. I have to lift my head too high to see through the scope and my eyes are bad enough that seeing through is a loss. A low power scope set at 1.1 or even 2 works just fine for closer work.

I like a 2-7 variable on my lever actions. And, having removed them from a few, I would never use see-through rings. I had them on my Rem 7400 30-06 for 20 years and never used them, so they were thrown out in favor of normal height rings.

Another option would be a ghost ring sight if you still like open sights.

I'd go with a fixed 4x mounted low and skip the see through mounts, you will never use them. Just get some good flip up scope covers.

JD338

FOTIS":16vrw57f said:

That- I currently utilize 2 of them in that power range. The 2 power setting gives me a sharp image under 10 yards, and I used to shoot antelope with an FX 6. I'd be happy with a fixed 4X, too but that's me. Don't trust see through's myself. CL

First choice would be a Burris FF II 2-7x35 with the Ballistic Plex and second the Bushnell Elite 2-7x32. I have 2 of the Burris and one of the Bushnell on rifles and like them both. The Burris has more field of view and a bit better eye relief, like the others have said I would skip the see through mounts.

I note that I have on my lever guns:

Model 94 .356 Kahles 2-7X36
Model 94 .356 Kahles 1.1-4.4X24
Model 94 .356 Leupold VX7 1-6X24
Model 94 .307 Zeiss Conquest 1.8-4.5X40
Model 94 .307 Leupold VX7 1-6X24

Each of these work well on the model on which they are mounted. I've mounted Vortex and other Leupold scopes on previous lever guns I've owned.

I've got a Leupold VX3i 1.5-5x20 for my Henry 41 mag carbine.

Its easy to put too much scope on lever actions, especially the small short barrel carbine versions.... and by too much I mean too big and too heavy... the smaller and lighter the scope the better on these little carbines because you can throw the balance all out of whack in a hurry...Leupold lightweight scopes shine in this role.

On longer rifles a 2-7x36 or so fits OK... the Leupold fixed 4x is fine on size and weight, but 4x does have some limitations on those 20 feet shots in the bushes.

The big zoom ranges...1-6x and such... are nice but they add a lot of length and weight to the scope, and they add it at the rear of the scope, right where it doesn't need to be.... something to really think hard about on a hard kicking rifle.

A typical 3x zoom (1.5‐5x) will be roughly an inch longer than a fixed power, a 1-6x will be roughly 1.5 inches longer... the eyepiece has to be longer on variables, and the more variable you have the longer it has to be.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

cloverleaf":2id0c9fb said:
FOTIS":2id0c9fb said:

That- I currently utilize 2 of them in that power range. The 2 power setting gives me a sharp image under 10 yards, and I used to shoot antelope with an FX 6. I'd be happy with a fixed 4X, too but that's me. Don't trust see through's myself. CL

All my levers pumps etc get this power range

Back