Scope for 28 nosler

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Sendero type setup. What would you put on it. Especially interested in power choices

This is my dilemma. I have a Vortex viper pst gen ii 6x24x50 and a swfa 3 - 15x42. Now I have a 28 nosler and finishing up my 22 creedmoor. Both are Sendero types but the 28 Nosler has a proof research 26 inch carbon fiber barrel so it relatively lightweight for its Contour. Which scope would you put on which rifle

I guess thr would be the logical thing to do is put the sfwa on the 28 Nosler. 15 power for Antelope deer and Elk should be plenty up to a thousand yards no?? Not that I foresee myself shooting that far but hypothetically

I like the higher power on my hunting guns so I can get a good look at animals without having to pull out a spotting scope but I'm not a fan a 6x for the low end. I like 3 and 4x on the low end.

With what you have, I would put the swfa on the 28 nosler and the Vortex on the 22 Creedmoor as for target shooting or varmints, the higher magnification would make more sense for those purposes and the smaller caliber. The 3-15 would make more sense on a big game rifle used at most common variable hunting distances.

Personally, if I had the budget, I would look at either a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 or a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 scope with a BRH or B&C reticle for such a rifle in 28 Nosler. If not, I would stick with a VX-3 4.5-14x40 B&C (as I have used on my 7MM STW for the past 12years). But that is just me

Like Blkram I too really like the B&C reticle in the 4.5-14x40mm Leupold. It's worked very well for me. On my son's 6mm Remington Ruger MKII, he has that same scope.

I’m not a fan of 50mm scopes seems they sit to high for me. I have had good luck with Leupold 4.5 x 14 40mm CDS scopes and have two of them.

I would put more emphasis on the quality of the glass than the power/ magnification.
The VX-6HD 3-18x50mm has excellent glass and all the magnification you need for hunting.

JD338

Back