Opinions on Leupold Alternatives

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
First of all I’m not a turret jockey dialing here and there and everywhere. I like simple and sure. I run a regular duplex reticle on nearly all of my hunting scopes.

Secondly I’m a “don’t fix it if it isn’t broken” kind of guy. I have used Leupold products for years and have been mostly satisfied with them.

I’ve been hearing disturbing reports from reputable sources about Leupold’s once quality products simply not toeing the mark. I have a couple of the newer VX models and a few older scopes an M8 and a Vari-X II and III. I’m told the old scopes are money in the bank but that the newer ones are ticking time bombs. Opinions?

Reliability to me trumps all, including extra light transmission though I do appreciate the higher quality of lenses etc. but having something that holds zero, doesn’t walk off in the gun cabinet and tracks if/when it does need adjusted.

Are there any particular vintage of Leupold that I should absolutely avoid? What are some ways to tell?

What is everyone switching to these days? I have heard one reputable source cast a vote for the Burris Fulfield II. He says they’re a better scope than the Swarovski Z3.

Should I just roll the dice and stick with what I have or make the changeover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm at the place where I won't buy a newer Leupold either which is sad since they were my go to scope, far too many issues these days. I'm down to a fixed 8x40 which is going back on my 22 lr and an older 6x36 , both M8's. For set and forget scopes it's Burris FF II's are my choice and so far the one Bushnell Elite series we have is holding up well. For turret twisting I don't have much experience yet but the Nighforce SHV and SWFA scopes are the ones I'm going to get based on many great reports.

I have run mostly the older Vari X III's and VX-3's for many years and they are very reliable.
I have one newer VX-3i, and have had no issues with to date, but do prefer the lines of the older scopes. Have a couple of older fixed low power scopes that have been very reliable.
Other than those, I now have 4 Swarovski Z3's that are working well, one used Kahles 1.5-6 scope that is on my new Sako in 9.3x62, and a Trijicon 1-4 with the post reticle w/ green triangle on my 416 Taylor.
For new to me scopes, I am looking for VX-3's 40mm scopes w/ B&C reticles or Kahles 3-9x42's w/ TDS reticles.
As an inexpensive scope, the Burris Fullfield II scopes have been very good for the people I know that have them, but for me personally, I like the better light transmission of the Leupold and German Schott glass scopes such as Swarovski and Kahles. I did play with the Zeiss Conquest line but was unimpressed with the quality of glass, and the same with the Vortex scopes and their weak tubes.The older Zeiss Diavari's are also excellent glass. Sorry do not have any experience with their newer models.

German/Austrian scopes usually have good transmission, since we hunt a lot at dusk or in the night.
You might add Steiner and Schmidt&Bender to the list.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I too am a set it and forget it guy and don't do very much turret twisting only when sighting in. I have always ran Leupold scopes on my rifles with only one issue which was with a newer vx3i. This scope just would not track at all when sighting in to the point I thought my handloads were bad so I sent it back. Leupold sent it back as ok and although the tracking was better it still wasn't what I was use to with other Leupolds so I sent it down the road. It left a bad taste in my mouth but I wasn't ready to just give up on Leupold with all the success i'd had over the years with their optics. I have another vx3i that tracks fine as does a couple older vxiii's, vx3 and a vx2.

About a year ago i purchased a Leupold VX5HD with the standard duplex at a price that I couldn't turn down. Shortly after that I ran across another VX5 at a great price that I couldn't refuse so I purchased a second one and thus far I and have been very satisfied with both. Tracking has been spot on when sighting in and I have had zero issues thus far with either. The clarity of both are awesome, bright and clear out to the edges. If I had one negative thing to say it would be the duplex on the box was a little deceiving in that the actual duplex in the scope appears to be more of a wide duplex than a standard. It wasn't a deal breaker for me and it took a little getting use to but the more I shot the rifle it sort of grew on me and I like it now.

As already posted i've read lots of positive reviews on the Nightforce SHV especially if you do a lot of dialing. I have a couple friends who run them and speak nothing but good things about that scope. Mike

film junkie , I'm not sure what to say , I've read about some of the Leupold problems . I think some of this is when you sell more scopes chances are you have more returns . I'm not sure how this works out percentage wise for Leupold compared to other makers . another thing I think is the info passed around on these forums sometimes might be a little exaggerated . some of these failures are first hand experiences . others are a story from a guy I know , knows a guy that knows a guy ............... I don't put much faith in that scenario . I had varix III , and have VXII , VX3 and VX6 . I've had more Leupold scopes than any other brand , I've never had a problem . the only scope I dial for elevation is the 6-18 VXII , the others are set and forget . I buy the Boone and Crockett reticles , it works out well for hunting at distances out to 500 - 600 yards . the only complaints I have on any of these scopes is turning the power on my VX6 takes way more effort than it should , calling it stiff is an understatement . the other complaint is the glass quality in the VXII is lacking , but I kind of expected this when I bought it . I'm needing another scope now , if Leupold offered what I'm looking for I'd buy it, since they have been trouble free for me . since they don't , I'm looking , asking questions , and reading what I can . good luck Jim

jimbires":2ut86v8d said:
film junkie , I'm not sure what to say , I've read about some of the Leupold problems . I think some of this is when you sell more scopes chances are you have more returns . I'm not sure how this works out percentage wise for Leupold compared to other makers . another thing I think is the info passed around on these forums sometimes might be a little exaggerated . some of these failures are first hand experiences . others are a story from a guy I know , knows a guy that knows a guy ............... I don't put much faith in that scenario . I had varix III , and have VXII , VX3 and VX6 . I've had more Leupold scopes than any other brand , I've never had a problem . the only scope I dial for elevation is the 6-18 VXII , the others are set and forget . I buy the Boone and Crockett reticles , it works out well for hunting at distances out to 500 - 600 yards . the only complaints I have on any of these scopes is turning the power on my VX6 takes way more effort than it should , calling it stiff is an understatement . the other complaint is the glass quality in the VXII is lacking , but I kind of expected this when I bought it . I'm needing another scope now , if Leupold offered what I'm looking for I'd buy it, since they have been trouble free for me . since they don't , I'm looking , asking questions , and reading what I can . good luck Jim

Traditionally I have had good luck with Leupold scopes too Jim. I know to take what I read with a grain of salt but guys I personally know and trust that have been lifelong Leupold fans are having these issues.

The way I’m looking at it is that if you’ve got a good one don’t sell it but for the future, it may be time to look at other brands. Leupolds repair and service shop isn’t the only thing with a long wait. Last year I ordered a VX3i with a custom reticle and it took nearly 5 months to get it. And when I did get it the reticle wasn’t what I asked for. When I called they were understanding but said it could be another 6-8 weeks (my original supposed wait time) to fix it so I just ate it.

Unfortunately this seems to be the way of too many formerly quality products these days.

My biggest issue with Leupold scopes has been having to constantly sight them in over and over with wandering zero, it's so frustrating. I realise there are other things that can make a scope lose zero like the mount's and even poor bedding but after a while when you see other scopes that don't don't lose zero you start to question a few things. I imagine a guy who takes his rifle from the truck to a deer stand won't have the same issues on average that someone who hunts deep into rough country which is hard on equipment.

One of my scopes developed excessive parallax and it took me a while to figure it out, took a lot of life out of that barrel unfortunately trying to figure it out. My 8x40 mentioned earlier has a turret for elevation that doesn't track well, I'm putting it back on my 22 lr because I like the scope otherwise and it doesn't get used for long range hunting either. It will be fine for shooting steel though where that doesn't really matter.

I picked up a Sightron STAC 2-10X32. It’s a 30mm tube which I can take or leave. Covered dials, decent glass, and mine tracks beautifully. One writer called them the “poor mans Nightforce”. Not sure about that, but for around $300 it’s a good option.

I’ve sent more Leupold back than I care to remember. Used to be you’d get it back in a hurry, the last couple have taken a month or more. The weight savings they provide which is so desirable, comes at a cost in internal mechanicals.

Meopta would be another good brand to look at as an alternative. They've been around forever and the last couple years have started catering to the US market a lot more. You don't hear many complaints about Meopta scopes and they compete in the mid tier to high end markets.

filmjunkie4ever":v6113s2g said:
jimbires":v6113s2g said:

Traditionally I have had good luck with Leupold scopes too Jim. I know to take what I read with a grain of salt but guys I personally know and trust that have been lifelong Leupold fans are having these issues.

The way I’m looking at it is that if you’ve got a good one don’t sell it but for the future, it may be time to look at other brands. Leupolds repair and service shop isn’t the only thing with a long wait. Last year I ordered a VX3i with a custom reticle and it took nearly 5 months to get it. And when I did get it the reticle wasn’t what I asked for. When I called they were understanding but said it could be another 6-8 weeks (my original supposed wait time) to fix it so I just ate it.

Unfortunately this seems to be the way of too many formerly quality products these days.

yea darn , when you've got a 50 - 50 chance of getting a bad one it's time to start looking around . it's a shame to see companies go through this . hopefully they get their act together and start putting out quality products again . I just don't even know what I'd recommend for a plain ole hunting scope . I've had my problems with Burris and Bushnell . got them fixed , and sold them cheap with the repair slip , so the new owner knew what problems I had . I couldn't trust them enough to mount them up again . once bitten twice shy , I guess .

when you decide what you're buying let me know, I'm open for suggestions .

Leupold is as good as they ever were... but the really good models are getting very expensive.

Hard to get into what I consider a quality optic for less than $500.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have been wanting to try a S&B for awhile now. Just never see any on the gunstores in western Canada.
I would opt for a medium power range scope with up to a 42mm objective such as the 3-12x42 Klassic, 2.5-10x40 Summit or the 1.5-8x42 Stratos. Have always read good things about the optics, and realize that they are pricey.
Sad to hear that a dealer is dropping the line due to the inability to provide good customer service on a product. Equally sad that so many companies are putting profit and numbers ahead of customer service these days.

Most of mine are swfa, some vortex, Zeiss, swarovski and plenty of Night force. I had 3 of the very first vx6's fail to track correctly and sold them off on ebay. I do have about 5 Leupolds and they are behaving well thus far

I have been very pleased with the Leupold VX-3i scopes with regard to both performance and clarity. I will likely buy more.

If not a Leupold, my rifles likely have a Zeiss.

I've got a mixture of Leupold and Zeiss. I've got one SWFA 10x42 that I use for dialing but my 3-9x40 Conquests are set it and forget it. I have an older M8 2.5x IER that hasn't shifted zero in two decades. I have a newer 1-4x VX-R that's been good so far and a mixture of Leupold fixed powers that have all done great.

I think Leupold makes a good product, but folk's expectations are higher these days.

This got me thinking...
And i start checking some old shooter's bibles i have, and say 1993 price of a vari-x lll 3.5-10x50 was $610 msrp, 2002 $829 msrp, current vx3i $715. Whats that tell you, its not the same quality scope. Yes there are advancements in technology and manufacturing, la la la...oh inflation since 2002 is approximately $40 per hundred so in theory same scope from 2002 should msrp around $1150 today. I sure hope that person building my scope, in USA/japan/Europe is making more money today then he/she did 17 years ago.
I will say Leopold is consistent, as long as i can remember(early 90's) you could find a brand new Leopold 3x9 scope for around $200, and its still true today. Made in the USA and guaranteed for life.
Just my ramblings for the night, does it mean anything, you decide.

film junkie , I thought something might get listed that interests you, also save you a few bucks . here is a link to a year end sale . keep watching , he is adding stuff just about daily . I've bought , and returned , from camera land before they are good . nothing listed has caught my eye .

https://cameralandny.com/black-friday

Back