Optic choices

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I have been using a vortex viper g2 5-25 on my 300 win mag seekins havak. I like the scope and the features but the weight isn’t ideal. At 31 oz it is really heavy.

Looking at other scope options and nothing jumps out as ideal. A few of the features I’m looking for are

First focal plane
Some sort of milling reticle
Light weight
Reliable adjustment with exposed turrets

The closest thing I have found to fit my criteria is the sig tango 4 4-16x44. It’s FFP, has a decent reticle, and weighs 20 ounces. My only concern is I don’t know how reliable the corrections are.

Other optics I’ve considered are leupold vx6 3-18, March 3-24, and Zeiss v4 4-16, vx5 3-15. They all range in that 18-22 ounce range, but only the March is a FFP.

Anyone have any experience with the sig tango 4 line? How reliable their adjustments are?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a Tango 4 in 6-24X50. That particular model is no light weight. I don’t have a lot of time behind it, I leave it in CO on my heavy .30-338. My impressions are that it has decent glass and the tracking is adequate. I’ve only dialed it to 800 yards. If I remember right the zero stop procedure seems a little unnecessarily complicated. It and StrelokPro seem agree. At 24X the eye box is quite small as is the FOV. I tipped over a cow elk with it year before last at ~400, I couldn’t pick her up very well above about 15X. The intensity settings on the lighted reticle are nice. I’ve banged it around on the BLM roads in a hard case, no loss of zero. I’m not sure how it would hold up to continual hard use but it seems robust enough.

If I had it to do over again I’d go with the lighter model that you’re looking at. I have no reason to dislike the brand so far.

5f3626877054bef04ff2ae8dd85b2e89.jpg

I think I might go for it. The price isn’t bad and it will be a full 11 oz lighter than the current scope I have on it.

How is the zero stop working out. From what I read online it’s pretty difficult to set up.

Thebear_78":1w17ep0r said:
I think I might go for it. The price isn’t bad and it will be a full 11 oz lighter than the current scope I have on it.

How is the zero stop working out. From what I read online it’s pretty difficult to set up.

It seems positive but it’s a little hokey. Not sure what the thought process was, just wanted to be different I guess. For sporting purposes I don’t think it’s an issue. If I were dragging it around in some foreign land depending on it for my survival I might be given pause though.

I ended up ordering a us optics TS-12. It is a pretty compact scope and at 18 oz as light of a scope as I’ve found in this class.

34aa8dc06dbab5d0ac58f7775ef9a8a9.jpg

Thebear_78":28u5nez6 said:
I ended up ordering a us optics TS-12. It is a pretty compact scope and at 18 oz as light of a scope as I’ve found in this class.

34aa8dc06dbab5d0ac58f7775ef9a8a9.jpg

I'll be interested to hear what you think of that scope after you've used it a bit. That's a pretty attractive package (features, reticles, size, and weight) for the price they are asking. Their 1-6x24 is of interest to me.

Back