Superlative C.S at Athlon.

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Had an interesting experience with Athlon. I have recently
Picked up an Athlon Talos 4x14x44 with their Illuminated reticle. Glass in the scope is comparable to scopes that cost double....... Reticule is nice.
However I was VERY disapointed with the illumination. It was sooooo bright on the lowest setting it was useless for actual nite shooting.......
I decided to call the factory yesterday and spoke with Chuck in C.S . He listened to my story and says" let me call
you back in 15 mins and I will do some research" . So 15 min later he calls and has pulled 6 different models and informs me that ALL of them are different in Intensity and the Talos is by far the brightest......omg.
He claimed the new Gen II Argos was the least intensity
and their Midas line both approximately 50% LESS than theTalos line. So we talked about up grading to one of them, and coyote hunting at nite ( he is an avid coyote hunter) And I said I will think about my options.
One hour later he calls back and asks for my address, he says he has pulled the little circut doughnut out of an $800 Midas and tryed poping it into a $300 Talos and it will cut down the brightness approximately in HALF!!!
So he asked if Athlon could send that out to me Free of Charge " cause they want me to be happy".
He then says if I am still not satisfied they will work out an upgrade to the new Argos Gen II.
So if there is better CS then this in the industry I have yet to find it! Leupold is Good, Vortex is better, but Athlon is certainly the absolute ' Top of the Line' in keeping customers happy. 'No one' puts this sorta effort out; for
someone they never heard tell of with a $300 scope.
Thought some of you would appreaciate me sharing this
Incase your looking at an Athlon scope.

Very nice. Nothing worse than being blinded by a bright reticle, except maybe a misfire...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update:
The new electronic wafer showed up yesterday and I am pleased to report the resistors on this are of a higher value, as the intensity has now been reduced 60/70 percent. So at the lowest value it is useable on a coyote
without spotlighting it at nite. It was very nice of them to go to all the trouble to pull one out of a Midas and ship it
Out for me to install in a Talos ..........
As far as the scope is consigned. These optics are a cut above any of the scopes I have tryed less than $ 350. I have compared it to a Leupold Vx3 , Vortex Viper, Sightron
S2s some of them actually costing about double what the Athlon did.
Here is what I found: As a nite scope, in very low ambient light it is a Superb performer! And coyote images looked as good or better than a couple Leupold Vx3s, one with a 50mm objective! (Athlon is only 44mm). It tracks as well as the Viper and my Vx6's. Has nice defined audiable clicks ( Non Locking Turrets) and sports a reticle found only in scopes costing double. And of course it's a First Focal Plane scope. How they can pull this all off for $299.
I have no idea but they DID.
Unbeatable for the money, Supreame bang for the buck with this 4x14/44mm Athlon Talos scope!

Thank you for the excellent report as we all know many claim to be the best and now a days there is good glass out there that has become more affordable but you can not always find Customer Service.
Thanks again for the report.

Blessings,
Dan

You betcha Danny, just my humble opinion. But we do get to play with a ton of scopes; that belong to customers.
I like to use my Ziess Conquests as a corner Stone of comparison, against most other scopes and we have concluded ALOT of the $7/1200 scopes optically are NOT
Superior to the $500 Ziess in ANY way..........
And of course not many folks spend as much time behind
a scope in the middle of the nite as we do.
Guess why they still call us " the Alaskan Assasin"......
Lol. Hope your well.
E

I've posted previously about their CS..I had a Talos that was wonderful for many, many shots. I had it about 16 months when after a shot it went "blurry". I couldn't get it to focus. I called Athlon and spoke with a rep for a minute or two and he emailed me a return authorization slip. I packed up the scope and sent it to the address on the form. I didn't hear anything from them, then around the 10th day after I mailed it back, I get home from work and there's a box on the porch..It was a brand new scope and a note from the Tech stating the old scope was indeed bad and they replaced it. That scope has since been flawless, as well as my two Argos models, I have a gen I and a gen II. Both punch well above their weight class, IMHO

Back