Optics for a S&W Model 29 .44 magnum

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
Recently I purchased a S&W Model 29 with 4" barrel to replace a Ruger Redhawk of the same caliber that I had traded for another firearm. After 6 very successful and enjoyable years this year I had decided take a break and not to venture west to hunt Montana. This leaves me with a new to me iron sighted hand gun which I would like to use for whitetail deer hunting in western NY.

I have looked at different scope options for the revolver and concluded that a red dot is what I believe will suit my needs best. My eye sight is better than 20/20 last exam, but not what it used to be. The options available on what I am considering are 1, 2.5 and I believe 5 MOA. I have not looked at anything "In the flesh" so to speak, but wonder if 2.5 MOA would be the best choice, and is a 1 MOA too small if I was looking to shoot at 75 - 100yds max?

Any suggestions on scope vs red dot, and what reticle is best for hunting will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Rol

Rol,

My S&W 629 Classic has a Leupold 4x scope with a duplex reticle. My longest kill is 75 yards.
The new Trijicon SRO with the 2.5 MOA dot would be a good option. I know the design engineer who developed this optic and it is nice. I'm actually thinking about putting one on my 629 3" revolver.
https://www.trijicon.com/products/detai ... -c-2500002

JD338

Thanks for the responses Guys. The Trijion SRO is what I have my eye on. SWFA has the best price that I have found so far. Have a Good and Healthy day. Rol

Rol,

It's a very robust design. I was involved with the battery contacts which are gold plated. The engineer demonstrated the drop test, chest high onto the floor. With my eyes bugged out and my heart skipping a few beats, he handed me the polymer blue gun with the SRO and a big grin and said "Check it out, it still works and the glass isn't broken".
The round housing draws your eye to the center so finding the dot is quick and easy.
Great design!

JD338

Hi Rol,

How is the Trijicon SRO working out for you on your S&W 29? Any pictures of your set up you can share?

JD338

I use the Leupold Delta Point Pro on a few of my handguns. They are some kind of awesome. Don’t sweat the dot size too much. I’d rather have a smaller dot that I can turn up the intensity on rather than a dot that’s too big for my uses.

Trijicons are very nice as well. I’ve been thinking of putting one on my SBH 480 Ruger as well.

The Trijicon SRO is a beautiful thing. There is a hallow around the dot at higher intensities and I find the lower range seems more precise. It takes a little getting used to the dot wandering out of the optic if you are not directly behind the pistol. Two factory loads, 240 grain Winchester and Hornady both have grouped a little over 1 1/2" at 28 yards. I tried shooting groups at 50 yards with less than stellar results so I paced off what I thought to be 25 yards and after I shot the groups I pulled my 300 ft tape out and confirmed I was at 28 yds.

I was less than thrilled with the single action trigger pull. Double action was off the upper limit of my Lyman digital scale and single action was 4lbs 6 oz. I ordered Wolf Combat Springs to reduce the pull.. I forget what double action was but single action came in at 2lbs 15oz. Not bad, but I noticed a roughness and very slight travel in the single action trigger. After viewing Youtube videos on trigger jobs on the S&W Model 29-10 I took it apart to smooth some moving parts without playing with the trigger - sear engagement. Much to my dismay a small spring popped out of the trigger assembly, never to be seen again. It is called the hand torsion spring and a supply of three are in shipment from S&W to me, no charge.

A health issue has taken the forefront of my attention and will likely keep the Model 29 on the back burner for a good part of July and August. As I get it back together and fine tuned I will be sure to post updates. Stay healthy, shoot often and straight. Regards, Rol

Rol,
Thank you for the update. I wish you a speedy recovery so you can get out and do some shooting.

JD338

Back