Rangefinders

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I'm in need of a range finder and have someone that is going to check out Bass Pro down south for me. They have a few I'm interested in and would like to see you guys would recommend in the $250-300 range.

They have Sig Sauer Kilo 2000 on sale and also several other models, a bunch of different Leupold, Bushnell and Vortex as well. Any that would be good and are there any to avoid?

I think the SIGs are very good Gerry. My little brother uses a SIG and I’ve got a Leica 1200. I think my glass is a tiny bit better but his ranges much faster than mine. Haven’t used the others so I can’t help.

My first was a bushnell elite.

Paid 300 for it 15 years ago on clearance. Was regular 600 at the time. Well. It’s still king of the hill for me. I can range a Tom at 600 yards with it. I don’t know how nut I can shoot a target through a little brush

1) most important- I can read the display clearly easily.
2) It ranges what I’m looking at.

Beat my kids Nikon and Leupold Range Finders hands down.

I have not put my hands on a sig yet.

I will tell you. A great range finder is worth its weight in gold.

Dont limit yourself to 100-200. The difference is astounding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info about the Sig's Scotty, much appreciated.

Mjcmichigan my friend has had a Bushnell too for years it has been great and it just keeps working.

I do actually have an older Leica 900 but it is honestly been a piece of junk and never worked well. I hope they figured things out but I'll never own another one. Just need something that works.

I've only had 2 rangefinders. My first was a Nikon 800 and it worked super for what it was. But, I had to eventually upgrade to the Swarovski 1500 which actually ranges out to 1900 yards after I built a 338 EDGE years ago. And the glass is so good, I use em for binocs as well. I never did care for the leicas or Leupolds. Uncle and another guy in our camp had leica 900 and they were junk. Maybe the vortex might work out for that price range.

I ended up buying a Sig Kilo 1400 BDX and had it out today for the first time. Seems nice. Ranged out to about 920 yards where I was at and was impressed with how fast it was able to get a range for me. We'll see how it holds up of course but I like it so far. Thanks to all who posted.

I'll be interested in your assessment, Gerry. I've heard good things about the Sig rangefinders.

Gerry, I have the Leica 2000 and it has been real good to me but as you know when we were at Mike's my previous Leica calved on me. Leica was gracious enough to replace it with one model up :wink:.
I have 2 hunting Buddies that bought the Sig and they are extremely happy with them (y).
Enjoy this up coming hunt my friend :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

I have a Nikon 1000 rifleman? It's been OK but I'm pretty sure they don't make them anymore. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that they usually only range animals at half the distance they're advertised for. I've gotten some 650yd readings on animals with my 1000yd rangefinder but that's about it. I'm looking to retire my Nikon to bow use and I'm pretty sure a SIG kilo 2000 or 2200 is what I'm going with.

I have limited experience and only own one, a low or mid-range Bushnell that cost be a hair under $200 on sale (maybe even clearance). It has a comp for shooting at angles with both bow and rifle. It actively measures distance, so that when you hold down the button and sweep it across the trees, it measures tree to tree as you go. It probably does other things I've never figured out. Don't see in your post how far you plan on using it, so that may be a limitation; I don't even remember the max range on mine.

I can say that it has worked for me in every situation I've called on it for. Typically, when I'm sitting, I'll use it to range out marker trees and rocks so I can estimate distance without using the range finder again. Farthest I've used it is about 225m. Closest is about 6m inside my house when figuring out the farthest possible shot indoors.

FYI, sig rangefinders are on sale at eurooptic.

I just bought the kilo 2200 for $369 normally $499. The other models are on sale also. Thought you guys might want to know.

Consider a binocular range finder combination unless you have binos you love now. The combination reduces the gear you carry and lets you spot and set known distances at the same time. It would bust your budget, but might be worth it if you have been considering upgrading your binoculars.

I was looking for both at the same time so it was easier to make the decision to get a dual purpose tool.

I already have Swarovski EL’s only a couple years ago and that is what I opted for stand alone rangefinder. However I have always like the combo units when i tried them out.

I have a sig kilo 2400 and a Vortex Fury rangefinding binos. Both are great.

SJB358":2wdxh5xe said:
FOTIS":2wdxh5xe said:

HAD a SIG 2400 :mrgreen:

True true

Now I have the Vortex Fury Rangefinding Binos.

LOL

SJB358":1jot3umx said:
FOTIS":1jot3umx said:

Did you buy another Fotis special? :wink:

Might as well update this since it has been brought up again. Still liking the Sig Kilo 1400 BDX it was nice to have on the moose hunt and sure came in handy when my bull was all of a sudden there. Tried it a lot of course while hunting and was able to range pretty easily to over 900 yards. I didn't have any opportunity to range past that because it seemed everything after about 900 was miles away, nothing in between.

I have the Leica B1600, but I bought the Vortex Razor HD4000 for my wife for a lot less money. I like her Vortex as well, if not better than my Leica.

gerry":22dc0x9x said:
SJB358":22dc0x9x said:
FOTIS":22dc0x9x said:

Did you buy another Fotis special? :wink:

Might as well update this since it has been brought up again. Still liking the Sig Kilo 1400 BDX it was nice to have on the moose hunt and sure came in handy when my bull was all of a sudden there. Tried it a lot of course while hunting and was able to range pretty easily to over 900 yards. I didn't have any opportunity to range past that because it seemed everything after about 900 was miles away, nothing in between.

I did. He had much better deals going than anywhere else :mrgreen:

Back