What scope am I looking for?

desertcj

Handloader
Sep 27, 2010
I can't quite seem to find exactly what I want. 4-6 on the low magnification and 18-24 on the high end, exposed target turrets with zero stop on the elevation, no illumination, ffp, moa turret adjustments, 30mm tube preferred but 1" will do. $800 max?

Athlon Midas tac 6-24 is really close, just missing the exposed windage knob.

Burris Veracity looks pretty close also, but no exposed turrets? I may be confused about their M.A.D. turret system? I haven't seen good pictures of it only a vague description.

I saw that! That's a solid option. I also just found the Burris signature HD 5-25x50 that looks like it checks all my boxes and only $600...

What Scottie said. I have that on my 28 Nosler LR rig.....in blue matte

Burris is a good scope. No clue how they work mechanically but I like their plain Jane models. Let us know how it works out.

I know the Bushie is damned good though. It’s really a heckuva great scope.

I have 3 or 4 lower model Bushnells and they have all been solid for me. I want to stick with MOA turrets though for sure. Trying to decide if holding windage instead of dialing is worth having a ffp ranging reticle with the Athlon. I used to think that dialing windage wasn't worth it but I got a wind meter and dialing windage has been working for me.

The Burris Veracity has it all but I'm still confused about the turrets. Best I can tell is that with the reticle I want, it comes with capped low turrets and I'd have to buy the low exposed tactical turrets through Burris to add on. Read something about the MAD turrets being limited to 1 rotation? I can't tell for the life of me how many MOA that is....I guess I'll have to call Burris.

The Burris Signature HD is my pick if I had to buy right now. Locking zero stop turrets, no muss no fuss. Only thing missing is the ffp ranging reticle in the non illuminated model. I'm not sure that's a big deal for me though. I doubt I could use the reticle to range accurately enough anyways. I have a rangefinder and I use it...lol.

Bet that's a good scope to be sure....but I'd be looking for a different bank account. :shock: CL

You lost me CL. You think I should be looking for a higher priced scope? Or are you saying those scopes are pricey?

cj, I have been looking to something along those lines as well. I emailed Burris twice and ask them questions about their scopes, never received a reply. I also read some reviews that their customer service never responds to problems, heard the same thing from a local gun shop, too. I have one Burris and like it, if anyone has had positive feed back from their CS please let us know.

AFG270":2y4d7pru said:
cj, I have been looking to something along those lines as well. I emailed Burris twice and ask them questions about their scopes, never received a reply. I also read some reviews that their customer service never responds to problems, heard the same thing from a local gun shop, too. I have one Burris and like it, if anyone has had positive feed back from their CS please let us know.

it's been a few years since I used Burris repair dept . , I didn't like it .

"No questions asked" warranty....lol. Not hard to do if you don't ever talk to a customer. I'm still leaning Burris, pretty hard to find exactly what I'm looking for in a scope surprisingly.

I had a Burris scope die on me on a 35 Whelen within 50 rounds. They replaced it with another which has been excellent. So my one experience was very good.

I use SFP scopes . I'll dial my first wind hold . if I made a bad call and I see the splash I measure with my reticle and hold off . it really doesn't matter how much the reticle subtends , just so you hold off that amount , just don't change the power setting .

desertcj":2xvr83vl said:
You lost me CL. You think I should be looking for a higher priced scope? Or are you saying those scopes are pricey?

Sorry- Its just out of my price range, but then most things are these days. Don't think I have more than $700 wrapped up in any gun scope combo I own. Sure there is nothing wrong with the scope. CL

cloverleaf":m660iq2t said:
desertcj":m660iq2t said:

Sorry- Its just out of my price range, but then most things are these days. Don't think I have more than $700 wrapped up in any gun scope combo I own. Sure there is nothing wrong with the scope. CL

I've never paid that much for a scope either. I normally don't feel the need to spend that much money on a scope but for a long range scope where you're dialing all the time I can justify it. I'm currently using a Bushnell tactical 5-15. No longer made, but it's been good for about $300 I think it was? No zero stop kinda stinks and 15x is just barely enough magnification are my main gripes.

Back