VX-II versus the VX3i

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
OK- anyone want to venture an opinion...??? Would you swap a VX-II Circa @2000 for a current VX3i. Haven't heard much good about Leupold lately and wonder if I'm better off to just stay w/ the VX-II? Cabelas has the VX3i on sale for $329. That's about $70 off and about the same price as a VX Freedom. Am I trading up or trading into a problem? No real complaints w/ my current VX-II. What do you think? CL

If it were me I would stick with your current scope since it sounds like it has proven to be solid for you.

As you already know my first law of hunting and shooting, is that if it's not broken, LEAVE IT ALONE. Does that help :p :p

I have both, and the 3i is definitely bright glass, but I don't know that I would swap if I didn't need to.

I would buy it and put it on the shelf for another rifle or for when you have a problem.

Absolutely swap it out. Many of the leupy gripes are about dialing and rtz. The vx3i is a fabulous optic although probably wont dial as reliably as a nightforce [emoji42]
Plus as already stayed you'll have a dependable backup should the need arise.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Elkman":ok8n14f1 said:
As you already know my first law of hunting and shooting, is that if it's not broken, LEAVE IT ALONE. Does that help :p :p

That there is probably the wisdom of the day, but also ...."buy it and put it on the shelf...", seems logical too... Ahhh- continued torment... :x Thanks guys all kidding aside, I do appreciate the thoughts. Probably wont pull the trigger, but SHOULD. CL

Troy,
I just put a VX-3I 2.5-8x36mm on my 35 Whelen. It's crystal clear, great in low light and robust enough to hold up to the recoil of a 250 gr PT at 2600 fps.
Don't underestimate the VX-3I series. It's a step or two up from the VX-II.

JD338

I've got a VX3i 1.5-5 x 20 on my Henry carbine.

Very good glass in that little scope.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Ridgerunner665":1ffluytf said:
I've got a VX3i 1.5-5 x 20 on my Henry carbine.

Very good glass in that little scope.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I have the same scope on a Marlin 1894 44 Rem Mag.
Very crisp and clear and has not changed its zero.
I agree with you Lynn, great little scope.

JD338

I have bought two VX3i in the past year. They are much nicer than my VXIIIs that I bought back in early 2000ish. Much crisper images when comparing side by side.

I bought a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm from a friend on this forum a few months back. One of many I now own. I put it on my .30-06. Couldn’t be happier.

7ec07cfd7ddfde3de289f79a35401044.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup- looks real good. That is a Petty rifle! Makes me wish I hadnt blued my 250 savage! CL

filmjunkie4ever":33fr5qya said:
I bought a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm from a friend on this forum a few months back. One of many I now own. I put it on my .30-06. Couldn’t be happier.

Nice looking stick!

I do not own any VX-II's at this time, but have had a couple over the years that worked fine.
Have a number of Vari-X III's, VX-III's and VX-3's that have served me well for many years.
I bought a VX-3i 2.5-8x36 and mounted it on my Ruger RSI in 250 Savage and it has served me well to date.

Sounds like the sale on the VX-3i is a good price, and if you think you should do it, then get it while the price is right. But if you are of the mindset that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and keep your coin in pocket to use for another hunting trip, or more ammo and trips to the range for practice.

Just remember, bad news on-line spreads faster than good news, and with so many opinions out there it is hard to wade through the internet wizards making bad references based on one example, to find the credible references with a larger span of experiences to use in making your decision.

gbflyer":3k7gr0me said:
filmjunkie4ever":3k7gr0me said:

Nice looking stick!

Thank you very much.

It’s my favorite. Quite possibly my prize possession.

Do not own a vx3i, but I did just purchas the vx3HD in 2.5-8x36. Seems like a really nice scope, and I put it on my 9.3x62 sauer. I also own some VX freedom scopes, and two of them have survived hundreds of rounds on my two 416's and never lost zero. So I'm actually pretty big fan of the freedom line too. Ive always had great luck with leupold scopes on hunting rifles.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just got the weekly "temptation " from Vintage Gum Scopes. They think a lot of (money) for there older VX III's :shock: Yikes! A should have bought the one I referenced in the beginning of this post as an investment,,,! CL

Back