Scout Scope Options?

3 Meter Para Bellum

Handloader
Apr 17, 2020
My dad is looking for a good high eye relief scope to mount on his Savage Scout rifle. I am not super familiar with scout scopes so I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions. I wouldn't want to suggest anything junky to him (something that will break), but he is on a budget so it doesn't need stellar clarity, especially since it isn't a target gun anyway, it just needs to work alright out to 300yds. at the most.

Leupold makes the best one I have used. The Burris is a close second. I use the fixed 2.5x scout.
a3b7ae674efcea9434ccce57d39ed100.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a look online and found out Vortex makes one, found a like new demo scope from Euro optic that is only $109.00. Very affordable, although I usually don't suggest things that cheap with optics, but I don't think my Dad is going to use it very hard, so he is probably more worried about keeping it cheap. I figure Vortex is likely to be good to work with if something ever went wrong too.

I've bought a fair amount from euro optic , my son lives about 5 miles from them . I've never heard anything bad about vortex warranty .

I've had a couple

If you can mount the scope so the occular bell sits in line with the receiver, the Leupold VXR 1.5-5x33 is great. Nice illuminated dot, too.

If you want to mount the scope forward of the receiver, then I reckon it is hard to beat the 2.5x28 Leupold (Though I believe they have stopped making it). The 2.75x20 Burris has an advantage (for some) in that it can be focussed.

Not seen the vortex offerings but I've rarely been impressed with them tbh.

M

Here's my current set up with a scout scope:

Currently with a Leupold 2.5x28 Scout Scope

ju8Ssv9l.jpg

Skinner carry case:

aOppM28l.jpg

E1a0zd9l.jpg

Reckon should be good for a cleaning kit / rod and an MTM box of 50 rds.

El1Owhvl.jpg

And when you unpack it:

SZkmfbSl.jpg

Hm8K79Cl.jpg

And out on the range:

8vXPHrWl.jpg

Hoping to develop a plinking load (240gr cast lead RNFP and Unique) and a hunting load (Thinking 240 gr Nosler JSP or Swift A-Frame. Maybe the 265gr Hornady over H110 or N110)
I know Skinner is selling a kit they call the Bush Pilot with a 16” version in this case.

Best wishes,

Quite a handy looking setup. That'd definitely be a pleasure to tote about.

Well my Dad went ahead and bought the Vortex, and I suggested getting some Primary Arms rings as a good balance of price and quality, plus I know that if anything ever goes wrong when buying from Primary, they know how to make things right! When the rings arrived though, I started wondering if I should have suggested something lighter weight, cause this rifle was already front heavy. It has become a bit of a chore to hold up, but being as my Dad seems to like shooting with the bipod he attached I don't think it's a big deal to him.

I mounted the scope for him after ordering a torque wrench to properly tighten the rings to spec, and now the gun is looking pretty sick. Scope, bipod, muzzle brake on a sixteen inch barrel, and a ten round mag sticking out the bottom. Pretty cool if ironic looking. Now my Dad thinks he owns a sniper rifle. :roll: I told him he will probably be lucky if he can get 1 moa groups out of it, but he's convinced that his ownership instantly makes any rifle more accurate! :lol:

Back