Nightforce optics

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I have been going more and more to nightforce optics the last few years. Anything that has turrets is probably going to be a nightforce.

I recently picked up a 7-35x56 ATACR. This acquisition caused a shift in my optical stable. I ended up putting the 7-35 on my target 6.5 PRC.
53d445bbdb2d5732f6b378b3b37a4702.jpg

That freed up my NX8 4-32 to put on my 338LM.

e5dda0275f8c653024c04aa2ece2532e.jpg

and my NXS 5.5-22x56 back to my tubegun 308.

0d3e1cdb78f5d1d02145d627539b9791.jpg

I also have 2 of the more budget friendly nightforce options, SHV 4-14x50F1 and 5-20x50. The biggest difference is a zero set vs zero stop. They are both effective but the zero stop feature on the NXS and ATACR is much more robust.

Overall I have been extremely satisfied with all of the nightforce products I have used. They have all been dead on with the accuracy and repeatability of corrections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear, I have a friend who runs a NF, could not tell you which one, but it sits on. Weatherby Mark V 30-378wby. When he first got it, we had a small challenge with POI shifting. Sent him to a great gunsmith who correctly diagnosed the problem. The screw on his front tally mounts had one too many threads for the depth of the hole.

Once that was fixed, that Mark V was lights out. That 30-378 generates some pretty decent recoil with the 200 gn partitions and the night force is super solid. Always dead on.

I haven’t dropped the coin on A high end NF yet, but I’m believing it’s an excellent optic!

Maybe someday. Right now topping out on optic spend on a Steiner (GS3). No turrets.
Just picked up a couple budget friendly vortex diamond backs to teach myself dialing turrets with MRAD. After getting the basics, I’m loving the MRAD.

Am I correct to assume you are using MRAD?

I'm with you. I have 2 NX8's and 3 older NXS 5.5x22's. I'm selling off a lot of odd stuff and will streamline everything to VX6 Leupold's and Nightforce NX8's in the next year or two most likely. Simple makes life easier.

A fantastic stable of NF scopes, for sure. They'll last a lifetime and beyond.

mjcmichigan":17dr8bam said:
Am I correct to assume you are using MRAD?

I actually have both Mrad and MOA nightforce. My 2.5-10x42 NXS and 7-35x56 ATACR are Mrad; the 4-32 NX8, 5.5-22 NXS, 4-14 and 5-20 SHV MOA.

The MOA are easier for me to use because years of thinking in MOA has that as my primary “ballistic language”. I wish I could go back and learn in Mrad. I think it’s a better system. The multiples of 10 are easier for quick mental calculations and a noticeable fewer amount of clicks at longer ranges. Unfortunately I end up thinking in MOA and having to convert it to mrad and back again.

On my mrad scopes I generally have my cheat sheep mounted on the stock and then just range and dial. It works pretty well as long as I don’t start trying to do math.

I really notice the benefits of mrad on my 22lr. There are 50 less clicks at 300 yards between mrad and moa.

Sorry Bear, laughing out loud. I do the cheat sheet too. Don’t need to add my mental errors to the equation!

Agree the base 10 is straightforward once you take the time to learn it. Also, ranging game using the scope is appealing vs carrying another piece of gear!

Same here, I have mostly 5.5 x 25 ATACR's and one NXS, all in MOA and I use the cheat sheet as well, taped on the left side of the stock lengthwise, easy to see and adjust. I mostly memorize the numbers since most of my hunting is under 350 yards.

Back