Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Mon May 17, 2021 9:28 pm

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Building a .50... and hunting with it?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:04 pm 

Lately I’ve gotten the itch to build a .50 cal percussion muzzleloader from a kit, and try to shoot a mule deer buck with it. I’ve got a couple modern inline rifles, and have killed both elk and deer with them.... but there’s something appealing about going old school lately.

I’m leaning toward the Traditions Frontier rifle kit, with the 28” 1-48” twist barrel. I’m not too into all the brass stuff on the Hawken style kits. Thinking PRBs for practice and when the kids shoot it, and maxi-hunters for deer chasing. Anyone have any experience hunting with home-built muzzleloader kits?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Building a .50... and hunting with it?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:21 pm 

No experience with kits either.

I have a TC Hawken .50 caliber I plan to mess with myself. Just for the same reasons you mentioned. Although till probably just stick with PRBs. At least for right now.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:41 am 

Dad built a 50 muzzle loader long ago and had great fun making it from the kit. We shot it a few times back in the 1980's. He cleaned it, and put it on the wall, where it remains to this day. :)

I've taken two mule deer with my traditional 50 cal Thompson Center, White Mountain Carbine - kind of a short "Renegade." A percussion rifle. It worked great and was a lot of fun to hunt with. But again, I hunted with it in the 1990's, and haven't even shot it in at least ten years. I keep it because I like it, and I might want to hunt the muzzle loader season again someday.

Can't remember the twist, but it shoots maxi-balls just fine, and those Hornady "Great Plains" 385 grain hollow points too. I wasn't impressed with the accuracy of the patched round balls, and not so much with some 400 grain sabot encased bullets I tried either. If I hunt with it again, I'll just haul out the maxi balls or the Great Plains bullets again. They shot well and clobbered those deer.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:41 pm 

Songdog wrote:
Lately I’ve gotten the itch to build a .50 cal percussion muzzleloader from a kit, and try to shoot a mule deer buck with it. I’ve got a couple modern inline rifles, and have killed both elk and deer with them.... but there’s something appealing about going old school lately.

I’m leaning toward the Traditions Frontier rifle kit, with the 28” 1-48” twist barrel. I’m not too into all the brass stuff on the Hawken style kits. Thinking PRBs for practice and when the kids shoot it, and maxi-hunters for deer chasing. Anyone have any experience hunting with home-built muzzleloader kits?

Songdog don't know how much you want to spend on a kit but take a look at Jim Kibler's rifle kits. They are top of the line cnc machined inleted stocks with different options. His has less work involved putting together. I put a Track Of The Wolf Isaac Hanes .54 flintlock kit together about 10 years ago. Quite a bit of work but quality parts same as Kiblers and little cheaper. Lyman has a pretty good muzzle loader that goes together without too much trouble. These all have longer barrels than what you are looking at but carry well in the woods. Mine is 38 ins. long and no problem. Check them out before you buy. Dan.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:11 am 

I'm going to be blunt here. I hope I don't ruffle too many feathers.
You guys really get to me sometimes. You don't mind spending big bucks on new rifles and scopes but when considering traditional muzzleloaders your satisfied with some italian, cheapo kit.
I have a pretty nice stable of centerfires and to go with them I have a couple of really nice flintlocks. You will be much happier to set your sights on a quality rifle.
Fact is, I wouldn't spend 50 bucks on any of the rifles or kits mentioned.
EXCEPT the ones mentioned by wvbuckbuster, he has the right of it. The Kibler is the new kid on the block as he has developed cnc machining to manufacture his kits. Super easy to assemble. You get a real top quality rifle for around a grand.
The Isacc Haines kits as offered by several manufacturers are my personal favorites. These are harder to build but they can be made into excellent rifles you will be proud to own.
And for what it's worth forget the percussion rifles and get a flintlock. Then you will be all set.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS