Elk Tag

Elkman

Handloader
Apr 4, 2010
I drew a MZ tag in central Washington this year. It's been years since I shot and hunted with one. So I will be learning again. Hopefully I will not make the same mistakes of the past. A few questions will be following in the coming weeks.

Dan --I have a traditional TC, Hawken 50 cal. As I was digging through my stuff, I found various bullets, (some i cast), most with sabot's , 3 or 4 different powders and caps, and of course, bullet lube cleaner and the like. I am thinking that my loads were 90 g , FFG with a mystery bullet up front. Still pondering, on the bullets.

I have a buddy that lives in Washington and he hunts with a CVA Paramount now that they allow 209 primers. I put a brake on it for him and now he can shoot it :lol: . It was beating the crap out of it before.

I would upgrade to a newer muzzleloader Bill. It's pretty amazing what the new muzzleloaders are capable of compared to the old Hawkins and Renagade's.

Elkman":2dskmxar said:
Dan --I have a traditional TC, Hawken 50 cal. As I was digging through my stuff, I found various bullets, (some i cast), most with sabot's , 3 or 4 different powders and caps, and of course, bullet lube cleaner and the like. I am thinking that my loads were 90 g , FFG with a mystery bullet up front. Still pondering, on the bullets.
Sounds like you have some stuff to play around with. I have found that 3F Black Powder burns just a little less dirty and you get more velocity using less powder 90grs 3F vs 100grs 2F that sort of thing. Have been a round ball shooter myself since I'm only hunting white tails but friends used those heavy conical with good success. If you go for a new inline there are several bullets to choose from. Pick a heavy for caliber and you should be good to go. Try Blackhorn 209 for powder. It's hard to beat and doesn't foul much at all. Little pricy but good stuff. Hope you have a enjoyable hunt with your front stuffer. Dan.

I drew hunt number 2512 which includes 336, 340, 342, 346. Any hints ?
I cataloged my stuff today, and found 10 year old Triple 7, three pounds of double F black powder, Power belt bullets, Barnes Bullets, and TC Hunter cast bullets. Bullet weights varied from 245 to 350 gr. I have lots of caps. My problem is that even though i have a fair amount of components, a lot of it will disappear while I am becoming familiar with the rifle. I am searching for more components. Favoring bullets around 300 grains. I believe that we I last hunted the rifle, my load was 90 grains of FF, with a 300 grain bullet. I will start my shooting with that.

Back