Smokeless Muzzleloaders

Fascinating concept and a unique rifle. Thanks for sharing, Brian.

What powder does he recommend, Dupont 5744 like Savage with the 10MLII? I use 46 gr. 5744 behind 260 Gr. 40/50 Dead Center Bullets in my 10MLII.

4759 would not really be appropriate in a 45 caliber rifle, except in small doses and certainly not to get a 275 grain bullet to 2900 fps!

Even 4198 might be on the fast side too, H322 or slower would seem to be in the correct burn rate.

edge.

Not sure about the powder in his custom stuff. He is using some Parker 325gr bullets and getting around 2700fps

Is he the guy that took over Richards Custom?
I think somewhere near Smith Mountain Lake.

edge.

How does this work for hunting purposes? Would it be legal in a muzzleloader hunt in the east. Probably would have to hunt in the general in the West. I am thinking most western states require "black powder or a black powder stustitute". ?

Elkman":pqkdb6sg said:
How does this work for hunting purposes? Would it be legal in a muzzleloader hunt in the east. Probably would have to hunt in the general in the West. I am thinking most western states require "black powder or a black powder stustitute". ?

A lot depends on the wording.
If it is written by the "buckskin" crowd then the law will probably be written for them and not very inclusive. ( you know the type, the ones that wanted to prevent compound bows and releases, etc. )
If it is written by hunters then it normally needs to be loaded from the muzzle without much else!

Elkman":1n3ogwvf said:
Edge hit the nail on the head. You can use smokeless here in Va and in Iowa. I don't have a need for it here but would be great in Iowa.

Elkman":byg9d7ao said:
How does this work for hunting purposes? Would it be legal in a muzzleloader hunt in the east.
I have a Savage 10ML-II. It is legal in Maryland. The DNR made an opinion that the 60 grain minimum charge of black powder or black powder equivalent does not apply to smokeless muzzleloaders. The intent of the rule was to set a minimum muzzle energy.

Now I just wish Nosler would bring back the .458 Partition in 300 grains!

As far as I know it would be illeagle in VT. Last I read it said black powder or black powder substitute. I would love to own the savage smokeless ML

I'm running 48 gr of IMR4227 in my Savage Smokeless M/L. I'm very happy with it so far. I bought it last year just after our hunting season ended so I am looking forward to hunting with it here in Maryland this October. I love the fact that I can see my target after pulling the trigger and it is extremely accurate. It is also very easy to clean. What impressed me the most was the first time I took it to the range I fired it 13 times without cleaning it what so ever and the last bullet I pushed down the barrel was just as easy as the first. My old Omega after 2 shots it was really hard to seat the 3rd bullet.

Killed a small buck with my Savage Smokeless M/L last week. I shot him at 100 yds on a logging road. It was great, I fired, saw him buckle, regain his composure and jump the ditch into the woods. Found him 15 yds into the woods following a blood trail a 1/2 blindman could have followed. Love this Smokeless, I would never have seen him buckle or know which way he had run with blackpowder or pyrodex.

cwa25.06":16e8aara said:
Killed a small buck with my Savage Smokeless M/L last week. I shot him at 100 yds on a logging road. It was great, I fired, saw him buckle, regain his composure and jump the ditch into the woods. Found him 15 yds into the woods following a blood trail a 1/2 blindman could have followed. Love this Smokeless, I would never have seen him buckle or know which way he had run with blackpowder or pyrodex.

I need to get mine out and shoot soon!

Congrats Clyde!

Back