Nosler BT muzzleloader bullets

I wouldn't. Just me, but 300 grains is light on SD for a .458" bullet and not being bonded would scare me to try and stuff one in a front leg. Now if it were bonded that would be different.

I'm curious about these bullets too. I've been using the Hornady 300 grain SST for Elk and shot a cow on Thanksgiving with it. Bullet passed through and the cow didn't go 30 yards. But I never hit any shoulder. I know of 7 other elk taken with the same bullet and the SST performed great. A couple bullets were recovered and maintained a good chunk of weight. The SST is not bonded (I think) so I'm curious to do a little experimenting with the BT to see if it would hold up as well.

I've got a few of the noslers coming and will try to do some kind of expansion test vs. the Hornady sst's. Have had good success on bull elk with 300 grain sst's and 250 grain bonded shockwaves. Have shot several cows with non bonded 250 shockwaves and they work well but can over expand at extremely close range if they hit anything more substantial than a rib.

Tobey284":1qw2lcmk said:
I've got a few of the noslers coming and will try to do some kind of expansion test vs. the Hornady sst's. Have had good success on bull elk with 300 grain sst's and 250 grain bonded shockwaves. Have shot several cows with non bonded 250 shockwaves and they work well but can over expand at extremely close range if they hit anything more substantial than a rib.

That sounds cool Tobey. Love to see how they hold up. I would be all over Nosler's muzzleloader bullets as my one stop shop if they were a bonded 300, but I am leery of them over expanding and not busting thru. Blood trails are real nice in my woods. Plus, I like easy blood trails. Can't wait to see your tests.

Cant wait to see your results as well.

Tobey would you ming sharing your SST load? My muzzy shoots the 300 SST really accurately with 90 gr. pyrodex. Im curious if your successes have come with lower charges or if your pushing it faster with a higher charge? Glad to hear your success! So far mine has only killed paper and clay pigeons!

Silentstalker, I'm running them on top of 110 grains of bh209 with a cci209 mag primer (when available) or a federal 209A primer if I can't find the cci's. This load shoots very well in both of my current rifles, a TC Omega (main axe) and a knight disc extreme (better rifle overall, but I like the way the TC handles in the timber).

Man, I gotta try a little Blackhorn next year I think. Wanna try chrono'ing some loads too. Not that it would matter, but I think it would be fun to see the differences..

I'm willing to be shown wrong, but methinks all the concern about blowing up, inadequate B.C., needing bonding etc. is a little too much worry. The bullet is designed by Nosler to be shot at muzzleloader velocities and hold together and penetrate. They say so, and I haven't found statements in the descriptions of other recent introductions to be off the mark. Using the sabot, the jacket isn't even weakened by rifling engraving. So I'm anxious to see some bullet tests and real-world results before concluding that they are too wimpy for elk, moose or anything else likely to bump into them. Jacketed 300 grainers moving at 1650-1850 fps are serious stuff, and not real likely to blow up at those velocities. I'd also like to see some jacket thickness comparisons, particularly with the Hornady 300 gr. muzzleloading SST.
EE2

I'm with ya there EE2. I shot non bonded 250 grainers for several years getting complete penetration on rib hits. I had one pancake on a high shoulder shot at about 70 yards, dropped her in her tracks but got me to thinkin a heavier bullet might be a better deal. Switched to 300 grain non bonded bullets and all has been great so far. Part of the problem as I see it is guys like me running maximum powder charges in anticipation of long shot scenarios, even though 95% of the elk I've taken have been within 120 yards (rifle included). I've been getting some pretty impressive velocity with the BH209, I suspect that overexpansion problems are due to excessive velocity on close range hits rather than flaws in bullet design or insufficient weight, same thing we encounter with high velocity centerfires at close range.

A bonded bullet would be better for elk and moose to ensure deep penetration.
The last few years I have been using the .458 cal 300 gr BST for deer. Plenty of expansion and penetration on WT deer.
If I were to hunt elk, I would go with the .458 cal 300 gr PT since I have a few. :)

JD338

Have any of you had a chance to test these bullets yet? I would love to see data and pics. We have had success with the SST 300 gr. this year. My Dad shot a great bull elk at about 30 yds. with one. Here are a few pics of the bullets recovered just under the hide. Worked very well. Weighed in at just over 249 grs. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416861670.271035.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416861692.217601.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416861709.061681.jpg

I have some loaded up for my 458 socom. I'm going to try them out on my cow elk hunt in a few weeks.

Sweet! Please post up your results and good luck! Nothing better than a freezer full of elk meat!

Back