Hornady fbp 300-350 gr any reviews

fwood

Beginner
Jul 15, 2011
I just bought a T/C Encore XT, and I am interested in the Hornady FBP bullets because I live in Colorado. I have been shooting a Hawken with a Green Mountain 1-60 barrel for years with 90 gr of ffg or pirodex under a round ball. However this year it rained a bit as you may have seen on the news, as the front range washed away. I had 2 misfires that caused two large bucks to walk away. So now I have an inline and am learning again. If they made a 32" 1-60 barrel for the encore I might just use that.

Jon

I have shot them out of a couple of in-lines and they have shot well out of both. They can be a real pain to get started in some barrels, not fun in the Remington I had but they start pretty easy in my CVA Accura V-2. I have never shot any animals with them but recovered bullets look good and retain a lot of weight. Another very good option is the Thor full bore bullets. They shoot extremely good and retain about 98% and give you a beautiful and consistent x-bullet type of mushroom.

I shot them from my Encore, which is an accurate rifle, and I could not keep them on an 8x11 sheet of paper @ 50yds.

Well I tried the 300gr fpb and could not keep it on the paper at 100 yards? So I switched to 295gr power belts and got great groups 3 touching at 100 yards with 120gr of Pirodex Select. However the power belts seem to blow up or under penetrate, not that the deer can tell, but we only had one pass threw in 4 deer. All shots were less than 70 yards, my concern would be that they would be completely inadequate for larger game.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,566
That certainly looks as if your choice worked well. Fine looking buck. Congratulations.

I tried them , with very poor results . if I remember right Hornady recommends shooting a couple to foul the barrel then shoot your group . I just forget how it goes , but you need a fouled barrel . I won't let my inline set dirty so I tired them from a clean barrel .
this target is 350 FPB's at 100 yds , from my encore .

They flew horrible from my Encore. Try 348 grain Powerbelts with 110 grains Triple 7. They group real good in my Encore. The lighter Powerbelts do not.

I've been shooting the Hornady 350 grain FPBs out of my Lyman Deerstalker, with 28" Green Mountain 1:28 twist barrel for a couple of years. With 100 grains of Triple 7 the groups have been very acceptable at 100 yards (about 2" using a Lyman receiver sight). The only other modification that I've made to this rifle was to change the nipple to convert to musket caps for hotter ignition. This year I did not connect during our Wisconsin December Muzzleloading season. After having my rifle loaded for six days in mixed weather, it required a second cap to get it to discharge. When Alliant BlackMZ came out I bought a pound but had not tried it. BlackMZ is supposed to have a lower ignition point and be more moisture resistant than other synthetic black powder substitutes. To test it, I loaded my rifle with Hornady 350 grain FPB and 90.6 grains of BlackMZ under 25 pounds of pressure and sat it out on a screened in porch for another week, which exposed it to outside temperature and humidity. After a week, wiped a very heavy coating of moisture of the rifle and took it out outside to test fire. Aiming at a target 40 yards away it went off on the first cap. The point of impact was at 12 o'clock 2.25" high. This by no means is a complete test but it did provide enough promise to warrant a better look.

Back