Hang Fires

Jager1

Beginner
Sep 23, 2010
Hey guys,
I was wondering if someone could them me why I'm experiencing hang fires with my
Mountaineer using the full plastic jacket primer system & breech plug with BH209. When I change back to my bare primer breech plug this issue goes away. Whats the differences between the two systems they are both the same lengths same shape at the end where the powder is ignited from.The only difference that I can see is in how the primer fastens to each the breech plugs and how one may not have as clean of flow in delivering proper amount of flame needed. Any thoughts or knowledge of this issue would be great.

Thanks,
Jager1

I have no knowledge of this system since I use convention style muzzle loaders but I'm suspecting that you have a problem with the size of the flash hole being smaller on the one that hang fires. Are you using pellets or conventional black powder? The flame isn't getting to the powder the same in both systems your using to ignite the powder.

I only hunt with Flintlocks. Never even fired a inline so I can't give specifics about your system. But some things remain true; Fire must reach the charge to ignite.
You mentioned perhaps that new system might block some of the spark. If your looking at the system and think that, then you might be on to something.
Is it possible the full jacket primer system somehow partially blocks the hole?

Back