Moose/grizzly load dialed in.

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I just got my moose/bear load all dialed in.

300gr Barnes mz expander w/ 84gr (weighed) of black horn 209 using fed 215 primer in PR primer adapter. Clocks right at 2110fps with ES of 38fps 5 shot average at 15 feet.

TC encore 26" barrel with pro hunter reciever with 1.25 pound trigger. Almost too light for a hunting trigger. Leupold compact 3-9 on a eabco peep rib.

Shot the best group I've ever got with a smoke pole today. Didn't measure it but WELL under 1" at 100 yards. First shot was little over an inch left, adjusted the scope and fired the three stacked on top of each other. Didn't want to mess it up so fired a fourth at the 3 orange dot above and to left in picture, would have landed on top of other three ;)

y3ugy4yz.jpg

ebavu2y7.jpg

That should do the trick. Congratulations on a fine load. Now, all that is left is the waiting.

We got a good brownie down working the bait. He's been coming in late. Got several pics of him from 12-3 am. It's darkish but still light enough with the scope for most of that. I have until the first for brownies and until July 1 for blacks. This is first year we can bait for brownies on kenai peninsula. They must have got the memo. Usually you can't keep them away. I swear they know when you can shoot them, I think they can smell the locking tags!!

There is a fire down there now, air quality sucks. Makes it hard to sit all day/night with burning eyes and stifling a cough. I think it makes a good cover scent though.

It's been warm so I hope his hide is still in good shape. Looks to be a good bear, 8 1/2-9 foot, big wide head, and nice even dark chocolate color.

Wish me luck

It would be tough sitting in the smoke. I know that when I've hunted when fires were burning in the area making conditions smoky, the watering eyes make it tough to want to stay outdoors. You are correct about the cover scent, however. Should be interesting taking a brownie over bait. Indeed, I'm sending my wishes for every success in connecting on that brownie.

Well I didn't get a chance to kill a brownie this spring. Between work and the fire I didn't even get out the last week. Better luck next year.

My buddy killed a real bruiser Saturday night. I'm not sure what it squared but it was a brute, 9" wide front paws. It had a busted jaw from fighting with a bigger bear.

jy4yqudu.jpg

He got a trail cam pic of a bigger bear, maybe the one that messed this one up. He looks to be a giant!

y9ezager.jpg

WOW! That is a HORSE! What a great bear! Thank you for posting the pictures! Phew, that must've been a pretty exciting hunt!

For sure, that is a bruiser. Congratulations to your buddy; he took a beautiful brownie.

Congratulations on a great load as well as your buddies Brown Bear. The other bear is a monster.

JD338

Biologist info on my buddies bear. 23 years old estimated live weight of 1000 pounds. Due to its age and injuries it probably wouldn't survive another year.

The bear may have no longer been in its prime, but he was still a great bear. Your pard did well, that's for sure.

Good shooting! That will be a blast with a smoke pole!! I have the trigger set on mine at 2 lbs.

Back