Plastic fowling from sabots

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
A buddy of mine shot his muzzleloader last weekend and told me the accuracy was off compared to how it normally shoots, I'm suspecting plastic fowling from the sabots he's using as the culprit?

If we were to soak the barrel with shooters choice solvent and let it soak for a day to give it time to breakdown the plastic fowling would this harm the barrel? I think it would be ok to do myself.

I think it would be fine but you might want to check with the manufacture.

FWIW, I have been using T/C Bore Butter in my ML's for several years and have had no issues.
The barrel is seasoned and clean up is a snap.

JD338

If you think it's plastic build up, get yourself some shotgun plastic wad cleaner. Usually comes in a spray can from what I've seen. Seems to work well.

Tobey284":2o6vqlne said:
+1 on the wad cleaner and a brush, should clean it right up!

That's a good idea! I told him to make sure the flash channel of the breech if is cleaned out and make sure the scope is secure, we're hitting the range tomorrow and see what happens with it, plus it gives me an excuse to get mine out!

We gave his rifle a good cleaning and cleaned the flash channel with a torch tip cleaner that I use on mine and it's printing 3/4 groups at 100 yards again. I'm thinking it was more the flash channel being plugged up than plastic fowling.

Don't shove plastic birds through the barrel! :shock: I get fouling from the shot shells, but I only get fowling from plastic birds running back and forth through the barrel. :mrgreen:

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :grin:

Back