T/C thunderHawk- needs a new barrel

RogueRiver

Handloader
Mar 13, 2005
So I picked up a thunderhawk 50 cal, the barrel is badly pitted and barely can see the rifling. When I got it is was very dirty. It is beautiful on the outside after cleaning it up, inside the barrel is ugly. At 25 yards its doesnt group on a piece of 3'x3' cardboard. I plan to take it out one more time and mess with it. But I'm thinking it needs a barrel. T/C said they don't do barrel replacement. Anyone have a clue who does barrel replacement on muzzleloaders or rebore it to 54 cal.

There's a fellow in PA near Gettysburg that freshens out muzzle loader barrels I think his name is Bobby Hoyt. He freshened out a TC Hawken for me about 20 years ago and did a great job. He does a lot of work for the guys who belong to the NSSA. I don't have a contact number for him but should be easy to find.

I can't help you out with your question but just wanted to say that I owned a Thunder Hawk .50 cal. I didn't like that I couldn't remove the breech plug to clean it so I bought a .50 cal Omega and gave the Thunder Hawk to my son.......What a mistake, that Thunder Hawk is the most accurate M/L I have ever owned with the exception of a Savage Smokeless Powder M/L that I own now. By the way, you probably guessed it, I gave my son the Omega when I bought the smokeless. He still uses the Thunder Hawk.... Good luck with the Thunder hawk, I hope you can get it straightened out.

well it will be $200.00 to rebore it to 54. thats the cheapest method so I'm probably going to sell it

Back