Christmas came a little early for me

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Mr. Martin finished his work and sent me some previews....I hope to pick it up shortly. Here's the sneak peak....

D50E7233-4C59-46CF-ADDB-AA62AEF312C8_zpsllcko46e.jpg

91B8504B-C5A1-4ADC-8C35-D543354CFF58_zpsibux8xe6.jpg

95863005-136F-4B05-8944-711565469077_zpsu4v7iygs.jpg

03F4D1CC-48B6-4A4F-82D6-8E3A3C272F77_zpslz76vb3i.jpg

9AA406A3-F242-4705-BEDE-267D2D4E0C12_zpspjyadfbv.jpg

3DC40EE2-7979-43BB-82E0-A645A2C72EEA_zpssgzzupub.jpg

It's based of the John Schreit rifle, RCA 18. Sports a 46" 1:56 Rice Barrel, Davis lock, and is a 62-caliber bore.

All smiles here.....

Very nice rifle Tom. Can't wait to see what it does. I have heard stories about it for awhile. Can't wait to see what it does on the range.

Beautiful wood and craftsmanship, he really did it up well. Hopefully you can find something to give the good news once you get it zeroed.. Those big .60 balls should leave a mark...

That is most attractive, Tom. Looks as if it will be a real joy to use.

As long as it is, it should make hunting by Braille somewhat easier! You should be able to touch whatever you are hunting before you pull the trigger. Seriously, I believe it is fascinating; I'd love to use one of those for hunting. It would be a fascinating experience. Again, it would make you a hunter and not a shooter.

I figure it cuts my shot distances by a yard or two. I can use all the help I can get!

With a LOP just over 14" and a 46" barrel, it's no carbine, but my guess is it will weigh around 8-8.5lbs. I chose the 62-cal for a few reasons, but among them was that they use the same profile blank for 58 to 62. So, the 62 will actually be a hair lighter than a 58. I could have gone 54, but I figured if I was going this far, may as well go big!

Very nice. As usual Mr. Allen Martin's work is excellent and to be coveted.
It should hang very well for offhand shooting. My 38" swamped barrels are about all the weight I can handle these days due to a shoulder injury. But my eyes could always use a little more sight radius.
The .62 should put a hurting on about anything you want to shoot.

Recently shot a friends flint lock for the first time. That was a hoot. My friend said, "well you hit the back stop..." :shock: :) It was fun but, showed what a lousy shot I am. You have a beautiful rifle, and a piece of art. CL

Thank you, everyone.

I picked up the rifle today. Had a nice long chat with Allen, and the rifle is every bit as great as it looks in the photos. Spent a little too much time yapping, as the 2hr drive home got me back just at dark, so no time to shoot. Tomorrow, hopefully...

tddeangelo":2kojzoum said:
Thank you, everyone.

I picked up the rifle today. Had a nice long chat with Allen, and the rifle is every bit as great as it looks in the photos. Spent a little too much time yapping, as the 2hr drive home got me back just at dark, so no time to shoot. Tomorrow, hopefully...

It gives you time to take a few pictures this evening.

I could, but Allen's pics did a fine job.

A few that might be of interest:

Muzzle....with a 45-70 round for comparion.

5CACEBAA-0DED-43D2-84B3-3C3C9FD5D027_zpsnrjslnn2.jpg

Front sight...this thing gleams like a fiber optic sight. I had it outside at 30 min past sunset, legal quitting time here, and it was heavily overcast. Saw the front sight like a light bulb.

6292C887-46A6-4CB8-A59D-1118FB457117_zpssctefilk.jpg

With the borrowed Lyman Great Plains Rifle I've been using the last few years.

D5E9B38F-12C0-42A1-A65F-36C4AC0FF3E8_zpsxzybasxr.jpg

Very nice, Tom. Great perspective in your pictures. To addicts such as those of us hanging around here, these pictures allow us to sleep peacefully.

Glad I could assist you in quality sleep, DrMike. :)

I hope to burn some powder in it this evening.

Tom that is one beautiful piece of art.The curly maple grain looks fantastic. Curious about the Rice barrel and the way it was rifled. It looks to be octagonal which is true to the period and style of the pattern. That 8-8.5lbs will feel like 5lbs since they balance so beautifully.
Mr Martin created a master piece for you.

Back