Ouch!

Always some idiot who thinks that because it's made of modern steel he can use what ever powder is available. Instant pressure and you have a pipe bomb. Lucky all he lost was a couple of fingers.

Savage is the only one I know of where you can use smokeless but they quit making them.

Did you guys see this comment below:
---
Miller - I have shoot a Encore with 50 Grains of 4227 with 250 grain bullet for 4 years know & love the preference! But my breach plug has been redone by
Performance gun works Scott Boger.
Talk to The pro first !!!
----
Ugh.... hope nobody tries that.

There was a NSSA member at the fall Nationals that had a friend give him several cans of various brands of Black powder. The friend had transferred some smokeless powder to an empty black powder can for storage and forgot to mark it, that can was included in the gift.
The powder was loaded in plastic preload tubes and carried to the range for the match. The shooter had a original museum grade 1863 Springfield that he was shooting . the rifle was loaded and touched off. the devastation was unreal and the shooter is lucky to be alive since the tang and breach plug left the barrel.
This was a seasoned black powder shooter and should have seen the difference in the powder when he was loading his load tubes.
With friends like that who needs enemies.

Oh, man, that would really strain a friendship. I'm always amazed when I see destruction such as that must have been that the injuries are more severe.

DrMike":2eezpuwx said:
Oh, man, that would really strain a friendship. I'm always amazed when I see destruction such as that must have been that the injuries are more severe.
Amazingly the shooter walked away unharmed and the others around him all so.

That's why I refuse to use powder I don't purchase myself.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Vince":viql7hi8 said:
That's why I refuse to use powder I don't purchase myself.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
there's a big differences in the looks of Black powder and smokeless, plus they smell differently. There is no reason to get the two mixed up even if it is in the wrong can. Smokeless powders of the same kernel shape I can understand.
It would be interesting to know the whole story.
To me it sounds like an attempted suicide or an attempted homicide.

Yeah, black oowder definitely is granulated differently than most smokeless. In most cases it is not hard to know the difference from visual inspection. I know for sure I would pass a brick if I was dumping a charge down the barrel and saw a stick powder flowing into my barrel!!! :shock:

Back