LEE R.E.A.L. bullets any one casting them

fwood

Beginner
Jul 15, 2011
I have a couple of 50 and 54 cal hawkens that are 1-60 and 1-70, and wanted to try some Lee real bullets before i buy a mold. Is anyone casting them and willing to part with a few? I am willing to pay the freight so to speak.

Thanks

Jon

I don't have any experience with them nor do I cast.

I want to test out bullets vs roundball next year but I will be buying vs casting my own.

They shouldn't be that pricey to buy a bag.....granted, not ideal, but shouldn't break the bank.

That is a round ball twist rate and anything long will not stabilize. So I wouldn't buy a lot of them. I don't cast for muzzle loaders and my rifles are all slow twist for round ball. when I first started into muzzle loading I had a TC Hawken which was 1-48 for mini style bullets but never used the Lee style mini or R.E.A.L bullet.

I am aware of the twist rates in the guns and get excelent goups with rouns balls. However i also used to get great groups with ball-ets that are no longer made. I was thinking the 50 cal 250gr real bullet was close to that.

Hornady makes a ballet, it's called a PA Conical. I think Buffalo Bullets still makes some, too?

It was my understanding that Buffalo Bullet company was out of buisness. I tried to order some from Dixie and no luck.

I'm pretty sure Dixon's in PA has Buffalo Bullets of some sort. If not, look up the Hornady PA Conical. You can order them a number of places online and they are nearly identical to the Buffalo Bullet ballet.

I just looked at Dixons a few weeks ago but I don't remember what they had.

Hornady Great Plains PA Conical (per Hornady website)
$15/box for 50 50cal
$12/box for 20 54cal

Let us know how it goes!

I've shot them, but never killed game with them. They shot well from two different Lyman Great Plains Rifles, and my father killed game with them with great results. 80gr FF shot well for us in both rifles, with 1:60 or 1:66 barrels (can't remember off hand which twist it is).

Back