Round ball vs Maxi-hunter

The round ball sheds speed and energy very quickly as compared to a maxi ball style lead bullet.
Both are effective but may lack penetration on quartering shots.
My daughter and I have been using the .458" (orange) 50 cal sabot with the Nosler .458" 300 gr BST in my ML's since it was introduced. They hammer deer.
008_zps6307658e.jpg

IMG_06271.jpg

JDBusted8pt120510.jpg

JD338

If you have a 1:66 twist you may find the roundball to be most accurate and will do the job fine. The conicals may shoot fine but best suited to 1:48 twist or faster.

Mine is a 1:48 twist. I guess my question is more about effects on game with the understanding that they both shoot the same size groups out of the rifle.

Will a Maxi-Hunter kill them "deader" than the round ball at 100 yards?

Round balls are good killers out to a 100, they are soft and hit hard. Maxi Balls and Hunters will penetrate more and break bones better. Neither will make them any deader but the conicals will do it better from off angles. Just my opinion from a few deer.

I'd shoot whatever hits best on the target at 75 yds. Our ML hunting group is all shooting inline guns, with 209 ignition, 777 powder and sabot and bullets. The bullets are either handgun bullets, Barnes tipped bullets, or a Hornady SST low drag sabot type. Everyone is shooting 250-300 gr bullets. They are all accurate and effective to 100 yards, though I wouldn't hesitate to try it out to 150 if I was in a permanent stand with a good shooting rail. Actually my first ML deer came from a 250 gr. lead bullet with sabot. It worked just fine.

Your 1 in 48" twist may stabilize those, or it may not. Buy a couple boxes and try them out. My cousins all shoot T/C's with that twist and they shoot those awful 385 gr Hornady buffalo bullets. They work very well for them on deer and elk. I bought a box and simply can't handle the recoil from them at 100 or 120 grain powder loads enough for a range session.

My gun over stabilizes those round balls at deer hunting loads, so I can't use them for that. But those round balls with 50 gr of powder are great for plinking. It's about like shooting a .22.

I've taken many deer with a round ball out of my TC Renegade, I could never get the maxi balls to shoot out of it.

Depending on the caliber .45,.50 or .54 they can have a different rate of twist and if they were made to shoot round ball vs conical slugs. The modern muzzle loader is designed to shoot the sabot style bullets as the true to period muzzle loaders were twisted for round ball. TC twisted their rifles to shoot their Maxi Ball and Lee Real bullet which were all soft lead. The groves and lands were shallow also where rifles designed to shoot round ball and patch were cut deep to let the patch get a good bite on the rifling. I use a primitive designed rifle which shoots round ball very well and pick and choose my shots most of which are under 100yds. The sabot style bullets used in modern muzzle loaders extend the killing range just like a Magnum rifle does.
I hope this helps.

When hunting with a MZ i use the Maxi Ball for both deer and elk. I have known of a few deer having been lost by hunters using a round ball. I would also suggest that the Maxi Ball will give you a "lot" more knockdown beyond 100 yards. You can never be sure of always having a close range shot.

Back