T/C New Englander - Any reviews?

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
I have the chance to buy a T/C New Englander .50 cal Caplock ML rifle. Have never shot one personally. But have been in the market a while and its a good deal.

Any reviews? Am mostly a plinker but would go for Whitetailed Deer and possibly Idaho Antelope if I get where I can shoot it well.

Any advice welcome.

I have had several T/C muzzleloaders from flintlock to encore inline and have been impressed with all of them. The QL feature makes starting sabots and conical bullets much easier than rifles that have rifling all they way to the muzzle. If its a good price I would jump all over it.

I've had one in 54 Cal for 26 years. It's still a great gun. Accurate with prb, sabot or conicals. I love the way it fits and points. Buy it (y) . We live in the same town!

Thanks for the tips fellas.

Gunpa, we need to get together and go fling lead sometime.

Deer season is coming soon! Taking my wife out for her first time.

I picked it up! Gotta get some things as up to this point I have only shot black powder revolvers.

Was thinking I would start out with about 60 grains of Triple 7 FFFG with Patch Round Ball and go heavier from there.

Going to use the No.11 caps for now but have been advised to get a nipple for the Musket Caps for hunting. Any opinions there?

Musket caps have a lot more "pop" and will help ignition. I am a big fan of conicals for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear -

I do plan to go with conicals for hunting. Their superiority is without question.

For plinking only I plan to use the patch round ball.

Thanks for the tip.

I recently bought some musket niples and was disappointed to find the hole on the threaded side was smaller than regular nipples. A dry patch down to the bottom of the barrel and popping some caps proved I was getting WAY more fire from #11 rws cap. I got those from cabela's (musket nipples ). If I can find the right bit I'll try drilling them. Another thing I learned, only use RWS caps for either nipple. They are the hottest you can get . CCI isn't cutting it. Good luck!

I bought some Remington #11 caps this weekend. Will test those out to see how they do. May just buy the musket cap nipple to have the versatility of using those if I can't get #11's at any time in the future.

Back