Sighting in the Smokepole

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
I have been toying with the idea of globe peep sights for my T/C New Englander muzzleloader but for now I am sticking with the factory open sights. I don't yet feel proficient out past 100 yards anyhow but with practice maybe we will get there.

I am relatively new to black powder rifles but I have heard that most sight their rifle in to be dead on at 75 yards. I have heard that puts you about an inch low at 100 yards.

What do you fellas do? I don't plan to shoot over 100 yards so I think the 75 yard zero could be ideal for my intentions. Am thinking to use this on a deer hunt next year using either patched round balls or the Lyman Maxi-Ball 275 grainer.

I only have FFFG Triple Seven on hand right now, any suggested loads for both the round ball and that Maxi-ball?

I have peep sights on my encore 209x50 pro hunter. I actually find that when sighted in at 100 yards it works well for any reasonable muzzle loader range. The last crittter I shot was a cow moose @ 70 yards.

Round ball loads aren't really long range affairs anyway. I have my flintlock set up to shoot about 2" high at 50 yards, which puts it on the mark at 75-80 yards and about 1" low at 100 yards. That being said, that's shooting a .600" ball (62-caliber rifle) on top of 120gr FFg through a 46" barrel.

Just like smokeless rounds, it's going to vary based on your barrel length, caliber, patch, etc. Maxiballs will be different, just like changing bullets in your load for your cartridge rifle can change things.

You might want to hang on to this link:

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_exp ... stics.html

That'll approximate round ball exterior ballistics for you. Just like any ballistics software, though, you'll want to verify it with on-paper results at the range.

Best of luck. Blackpowder is fun...it's getting to be time for me to start shooting my flintlock some more. We have an early season coming up where my daughter can hunt with a modern rifle, and while I usually bowhunt that time of year, with her hunting with a rifle, I may as well take the flinter and have some fun. :)

I think my rear sight is a Lyman 57 peep, I sight in at 100 yards and use Maxi-balls. I have had a couple of 125 yard shots which is as about as long as you want to go with a traditional MZ

I use a standard rear sight with a hooded front sight that takes inserts on my Rem. 700ML. I have a crosshair with a circle insert in it. The crosshair is thin enough to be able to see around it fairly well which IMO is much better than a standard front sight that blocks everything. I sight in at 100yds and use the bottom of the circle for 150yds if memory serves me correctly( I haven't shot it in quite a few years since they made the season I always hunted a draw). I've killed numerous elk over 100yds with it and the longest was 184yds. Most all of them were shot with 300gr Powerbelts.

Cabelas use to carry the sights.

Yeah and Peeps are so much simpler and I feel more accurate. I have only had a few open sight weapons in my hands over the years that I could consistently hit with.

I plan on using the Maxi-ball for any serious hunting I plan to do, and round ball for plinking and practice.

Anyone use Triple 7 FFFG in their long rifle? I have a good supply on hand because of my black powder revolvers so don't really want to buy FFG for my rifle. Any advice?

I only hunt with roundballs in my flintlocks. As others do, mine is about 2 inches high at 50 yards for local whitetail hunting. If I ever draw a ML Elk tag I'll just make another sight and regulate it at 100 yards.
Both my .40 and .54 have basic open sights. However I think a rear peep to be a much better choice. My problem is I have swamped (tapered and flared) barrels and 63 year old eyes. And I just haven't taken the time to mount the peep and work the front sight height to bring the group down into the bull.
I paint my front sight with blaze orange fingernail polish. It just helps to make that sight show up a little better than a brass or steel blade.

filmjunkie4ever":1omcrjk9 said:
Yeah and Peeps are so much simpler and I feel more accurate. I have only had a few open sight weapons in my hands over the years that I could consistently hit with.

I plan on using the Maxi-ball for any serious hunting I plan to do, and round ball for plinking and practice.

Anyone use Triple 7 FFFG in their long rifle? I have a good supply on hand because of my black powder revolvers so don't really want to buy FFG for my rifle. Any advice?

I've not used it, but flintlock shooters generally report all BP substitutes to be hard to ignite. Here in PA, flint is required, and some insist on using pellets. To the point where they put a few grains of FFFg down the spout first, then the pellets. Seems to completely defeat the purpose of using the pellets, but maybe I'm missing something.

Caplock, not sure....maybe the caps have enough oomph to light the substitute propellants? If they work in cap-n-ball revolvers for you, then it you've got a fighting chance in the caplock rifle (assuming that's the ignition you're using). Only way to know for sure is to try it.

We can use musket caps as well as #11 caps here in Idaho. I've used loose 777 for years without issues lit by #11's but some people have issues with it lighting. It might be a inline versus a caplock issue. I use to use straight Pyrodex but 777 burns much cleaner.

Yeah, the bend in the ignition system could be an important variable between the revolvers and the rifle.

Sure way to get it to go is a small charge of FFFg first with pellets on top, but what a pain that seems to be....and I've not heard of anyone using loose 777 on top of BP, but that doesn't mean someone hasn't done it.

The pellets are illegal for hunting use here in Idaho so I don't want to mess with those at all in load development. Maybe I need to quit being Ebenezer Scrooge and just buy some FFG.

Triple 7 does come in an FFG version.

I just checked on Hodgdon's site, and they specifically state loose Triple Seven should only be used in 209 ignition rifles. They do discuss its use in perc revolvers, but specifically state not to use it in flint or caplock rifles.

Oddly, elsewhere in info about it they recommend 5gr of FFFFg loaded in advance of the Triple Seven main charge, which needs to be reduced by 5gr to account for the "priming" powder.

So, clear as mud....

I will always recommend buying some 2FG or 3FG and work from there.
I use 4FG to prime my flintlocks. I use 3FG or 2FG for the main charge. In my .54 I shoot 80 gr.s of 3FG for my deer load. Some rifles like 2FG best so I always keep some handy.
You can buy a 25 can case of real black powder and have it shipped to your door. They will mix 4F, 3F and 2F, to your desire.
If you can't afford a case then go in with a buddy and split the cost. So when the shelves are empty for everybody else you can still shoot.

I have a contact who can buy in volume from fireworks companies (it's still Goex or Swiss brand, but in bulk packaging). I think it drives the cost down to like $12-ish a lb to buy that way, but the total purchase is in the realm of $200 for the necessary quantity. I may do it soon, though, so as to be well stocked.

I've been using 777 for years in my TC new Englander (caplock). No ignition issues. I accidentally bought fffg last year and wondered why it kicked so bad :oops: I've have cut my powder charge now and it has faster ignition than ffg. I personally like it a lot. As for the o.p.'s questions about sights my old eyes get by with *True Glo but would probably prefer peep. Good luck!

Back