Range Day - 11.01.15

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
It rained today in Eastern Idaho. A LOT.

Upon finding out that the roads I must travel to go elk hunting were nearly impassable, I retreated to the Lodge and collected my Marlin .22 and my T/C New Englander .50 caliber BP rifle. My .30-06 was already in the truck being the one I grabbed to go elk hunting.

The .22 was hitting high and to the left, a few rounds later I had 5 shots that could be covered by a nickel at 50 yards with the Remington 36 grain HP loads. Turns out that rifle really doesn't care for the 40 grain solid Winchester Wildcats. My other .22 (a Rossi 62A) loves everything I have ever fed to it.

The New Englander was terrific to shoot. This was its first trip to the range since I bought it last month. The Hornady .490 Round Balls on top of 100 grains of Triple-Seven FFFG were really making an impressive puff and holding in about 3" circle at the same 50 yards. That load barks quite a bit louder than the 60 grain loads I usually plink with. I think that once I get a little more time to practice, that I can bring that group size down some.

Since I had the .30-06 there with me I decided to put a round or two down the barrel of that great old gun. The first shot vaporized a clay pigeon at 100 yards. The second and third shots did likewise. I have that rifle sighted in 2" high at 100 yards with my 165 grain Partition handloads. I love that gun.

On the drive home, still enjoying the buzz one gets from shooting I thought to myself how blessed I am to have the rights we enjoy in this country. I thought about how the 3 guns I had with me at the time represented approximately a 100 year span of firearms development and how much I enjoyed the freedom to play hookie from church to go shoot 3 of my most favorite hunting rifles.

We are so blessed in this nation to have the rights, privileges and freedoms we enjoy daily!

I personally did not serve in the military but I appreciate those who have and do continue to serve.

I for one, know where my freedom comes from and am eternally grateful for it.

Thanks Vets -

Dale

Fine post, Dale. Sorry that the rain impeded your ascent into the mountains, however. When time comes, you are definitely ready to go.

Back