Updating my sights on my ML

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I have a T/C Hawken and want to upgrade the sights so I can see better in low light conditions. I want to have it ready for bear season and don't like the idea of black buckhorn sights on a black bear.

I don't know what I really want. I don't care for the idea of a tang peep and having to drill a new hole in the rifle.

What are your thoughts on these??

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/273226 ... ptic-green

or should I order this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/783162 ... inum-black

with a fiber optic front sight.

Thanks guys

I like the Williams, unscrew the target insert, add the fiber optic and I think you'll be as good as it gets.

I tried the Williams one season then took them off. A couple of problems I encountered was the rear sight seems to block off a lot of the target. Didn't matter on a bullseye but I didn't like it at all in the shadowed deer woods.
Worse is that these sights are somewhat flimsy. I took a shot one clear morning at a fat doe at 20 yards and flat out missed. I had a good rest, good squeeze and did not flinch. I just could not figure it out. Finally I noticed the rear windage was a little off my witness mark. By pushing hard with my fingers I could actually move the blade even when the set screws were torqued down.
I was hiking in a long way in the predawn with a backpack and the rifle slung tight crossed over my neck to allow freedom to both hands. The rear sight was rubbing on the pack and it actually moved the rear blade from the contact.
I liked the visibility and brightness but I can't have a fair weather sighting system so off they came.
I consider the best combo is a good receiver peep sight and a sturdy fiber optic front. I like the sight you have that link too. And Marble once offered good fiber optics front sights in different heights.

I have a Williams rear peep and love it. My shooting is much more consistent and accurate with a rear peep vs open sights. I need to replace my front sight with a fiber optic one. That's what I would I recommend.

the only time it has ever been a problem is after doing a December deer drive when the peep filled with snow, but I hadn't notice that. When it was my turn to post and a nice doe came by, I couldn't see through the peep and was too frazzled to clear it. So I sighted down the barrel and squeezed the trigger. Didn't work so well. But you'll only make that mistake once.

If you go with the peep sight, you might want to consider replacing it with a Williams aperture peep. I purchased one from EABCO and its mounted on the back of a weaver style scope base. It is nice to be able to adjust the size of the peep opening in regards to light conditions. While shooting at the range the opening size didn't seem to affect the accuracy.

Back