Rengade .54 Range Day

1100 Remington Man

Handloader
May 1, 2007
I know very little about this but today I went to the range with my new Rengade .54 percussion.
Some was good some was bad. I am going Muzzle Loader early Deer season here in Iowa on Oct 15th.
I had replaced front sight to a smaller white bead other than that it is like it was from the factory years ago. I bought off Gunbroker as New unfired.
Well things started great first shot at right elevation just 6-7 inches right, tapped front sight just a little with screw driver and ball starter. Then I shot my first group about 4 inches at 50 yards with a .530 round ball and a .010 patch and 90gr Pryodex, Shot another 3 inch group then another 4 inch group which was vertical top bottom and one in middle I might not of been holding the front sight in the proper height in the rear sight.
Next .530 round ball .015 patch and 90gr Pyrodex. I got a 7/8 inch group right on the bullseye, never had I had such a easy time sighting in a rifle.
Then the wheels fell off loaded it with out powder, took nipple out 3-4 times adding powder till it came out. Then I was have problem's with it fireing 2-3 caps no go take nipple out add powder shoot. Picture is of first group and the best group
This went on for the last group, 3 shots in 1 3/4 inch and a fourth high and right opening up group to 3 1/4 inch.
I fired 17 shots on targets a few no powder loads this took me just under 3 hours.
Fun but a pain also, I am happy with sighting it in but not the reliably yet. Yes I am new to muzzle loaders.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 1,718
That righthand target looks real good. The .54 renegade can be very accurate. I started out with one back in 1976 and shot a lot of matches with it.
I'm not sure about the front sight, especially if you didn't change out the rear. The original front post held in the center of the rear and level across the top was very accurate for me.
Everybody dryballs at least once and it can be frustrating when things don't go right. The trick is to get into a loading mantra, powder patch ball, powder patch ball....

Yep. Ball pullers are a staple item for me in my range box and in my hunting bag.

I think it's easier to pull them than the ordeal you went through to shoot it clear.

I often pull hem when I hunt and don't shoot at game, if I don't trust the charge till the next hunt to remain dry and viable. They aren't tough to pull and makes life a lot easier.

Well I ordered a ball puller from Track of the Wolf. I hope I don't have to ever use it but you know I will.

I’ve got a 50 cal Renegade, it’s a tack driver with 90 gr of Pyrodex and a round ball. I’ve lost track of the number of deer i’ve Taken with it, taken s few hogs with it too.

Back