Verification for my long rifle

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Was at the range for other stuff and took the long rifle along to verify nothing was amiss.

At 100 yards, the polished brass front sight is not easy to see against most paper targets. To help, I used a 12"x12" Shoot-N-See paster. It's still tough to be precise with sight picture.

My expectation from how the rifle is regulated is +2/2.5" at 50 and -1/1.5" at 100.

Result:

1BD7FB5A-23E3-437C-AE02-E73142A3D5D1_zps4chyecm1.jpg

The windage is me. No question in my mind. Just tough to really be precise on sight picture/alignment on the target. The sights look phenomenal on deer hide in the woods. That's what they're meant for.....shooting tiny groups out far? Not so much.

The elevation is spot on, and it's just a shade left, again, almost certainly my doing.

And yes, it makes a big honkin' hole.... :D

Nice shooting Tom. you should take it on a lion hunt with Jerry, you guys and your muzzleloaders LOL

If that is the "Martin" long rifle, then it shoots as good as it looks. Boy that was/is a pretty rifle

Yes, that's the one Allen built for me. I'm heading to South Carolina for deer and pigs soon, maybe I can get it in the game down there... :)

I can only imagine it'll get his undivided attention in a rather urgent manner.

Verification looks good.
If you shoot a really large boar and don't hit or shock the CNS, don't be surprised if he totes that large ball a ways.
We are ate up with hogs around here. A few years ago I shot a old boar of about 350 lbs. from 15 yards, straight down through his vitals with a .54 loaded heavy. He ran about 200 yards before expiring. I wouldn't expect one to go that far with your .69 though.

Back