Finished up the season with the flintlock

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
B661693E-09D5-47A8-9E89-9C2E3FBD069A_zps3afybapj.jpg

Put a round ball into this nice doe....more later....it's warm here in PA and I had to quarter and stick it in the fridge, clean a gun, clean out my truck bed, etc.

I've only fired a flint lock a couple of times. I am impressed by anyone who shoots them effectively.
Congratulations on the doe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations, Tom. Looks as if she is nice and fat. Clean up does demand attention--if we intend on doing the hunt another time.

Yep, and the rifle was chief among the cleanup items.

Of course, working in a school district, it is in my best interest to not have a bloody tailgate on my truck when I'm parked in the staff lot, lol. The good thing for me is my truck is a dark red color to begin with, so I just have to get the worst of it off and can be more particular later. I just can't drive in with blood all over it. :lol:

Tom,

Nicely done, congratulations on your doe.
That flint lock of yours is an awesome looking rifle.
Perfect shot!

JD338

salmonchaser":12vbunat said:
I've only fired a flint lock a couple of times. I am impressed by anyone who shoots them effectively.
Congratulations on the doe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Flintlocks are interesting. Learning to shoot one well takes practice, for sure.

Good job Tom. I don't know what's happening on my hunting grounds, maybe too many coyotes, but I saw far fewer deer this year than I ever have. I saw 3 small bucks early but no does. I hunted about 95% of the season with my flintlock and never once had a doe I could shoot.
I took one shot real early one morning at a good sized boar broadside at 50 yards and shot just under his chest. So went hunting with the flint last season.
I did take 2 does with my .308 bolt gun though so I have meat.

Back