anyone help with a start

str8meat

Handloader
Jul 20, 2008
i used to hunt with muzzleloaders in the past but havent in almost 13 years. well the wife has a multi season tag here in washington and a buddy of mine was kind enough to let us borrow his remington 700 ml. i always used pyrodex, but when i went into cabelas the other day there was tons of options in powder and bullets. if anyone has a starting point for me to try and help her be successful i would appreciate it

I'm pretty impressed with the blackhorn 209. Very consistent, and get several shots between cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. Been using BH209 for a couple years now. For Bullets, you've got everything from Parkers to Thors and a bunch in between. I'm not sure of the regs in Washington state for legal Bullets and such but you can't go wrong.

Oh, and I measure out BH209 on my scale and put the charges in the plastic, capped vials. Works real well. 3 vials, 3 primed UML cases, and 3 sabots along with a loaded rifle and you're ready to hunt.

Same here, I pre measure the charges on a scale and keep in vials. As to sabots I have had very good luck with the 250gr Barnes expander MZ. It has worked flawlessly on deer and moose. I have used both the 250 and the 300. The 250 punched thru this moose at 70 yards going thru one shoulder ball and still exiting.

3af7be56ea6dd33ae72747468e368981.jpg

Thebear_78":2s2ezvik said:
Same here, I pre measure the charges on a scale and keep in vials. As to sabots I have had very good luck with the 250gr Barnes expander MZ. It has worked flawlessly on deer and moose. I have used both the 250 and the 300. The 250 punched thru this moose at 70 yards going thru one shoulder ball and still exiting.

3af7be56ea6dd33ae72747468e368981.jpg

That's awesome. I've been looking at the Thors and Federal Bore Loks for my UML. Trying to find one load that works in any state other than pulling the scope off and putting the peep on it.

My deer and elk have all been taken with black powder and cast lead bullets. It seems to be really hard to find black powder lately, so I will soon switch over to a substitute.

maybe ask the guy that lent you the muzzleloader what he was shooting . could save you some time .

In my Rem 700 I used 120 grs. triple 7 with a TC 250 gr. shockwave. Only used it on whitetails here in WV but it performed very well complete pass thru from 40- 120 yds. average 1.5 in. groups from bench. Same load I'm shooting the same size group in a new CVA Acurra MR.

I used 120 grs triple 7 with a tc 250 gr. shockwave giving 1.5 in. groups 100 yds. benched. Complete pass thru on whitetails here in WV very good result. Same load is giving same size groups in a new CVA .

Tomorrow I will be using 77 grains(weight) of BH209 and a 250 barnes expander. My traditions is an MOA gun off the sled with that load. Had to switch to crushed rib sabot in order to get that. The supplied sabot was too hard to load and gave me a 3.5" group.

If that Rem 700 ML is one of the originals without any mods it likely will not handle BH 209. T-7 would be best.

Back